1. Guest, In order to get the most out of the new software, we have created How to Videos.
    They are located in a sub forum under the "Website Related" forum. Visit them and if they help be sure to "LIKE" the post.
    Dismiss Notice

Timing Chain Tensioner

tomc585 May 16, 2013

1. tomc585

tomc585 Member

What exactly is the defect in the OEM tensioners? I've been looking around and haven't found a solid answer. I'm ready to turn 20k and I don't want to push my luck. Looking at the manual tensioners but I'm not tickled about the look. Can someone post a close-up pic. Thanks.

2. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

OEM Tensioners, can allow the chain to "travel" on sudden deceleration, causing the chain to possibly "jump" a tooth and throw out the timing. The manual tensioner always has tension to keep the chain from traveling all over the place. Also, if you decide to take the OEM tensioner off to inspect it, you just can't put it back in. It has to be "charged" not a good word, but it has to be reset...better word, before you replace. The manual tensioner is a very good upgrade. You can take the pick up cover off and see when the initial chain slack is removed. Put the cover back on and start the bike..if it's making noise, tighten it a bit....let the bike then warm up and then you'll be able to tell, whether you have to adjust it again. You need 2 - 13mm wrenches. It's real ez. I've adjusted mine I think twice and now it's real sweet....may make a noticeable difference in your ride, as you have a good bit of mileage on her.

Best to buy from BACHHUS....member here...he has a store for ALOT of goodies for the ZL. Good luck!
    here is his link

http://www.thezlstore.com/

3. tomc585

tomc585 Member

years ago when I did a valve adjustment I had pulled the tensioner for inspection. I know what you mean about resetting it to re-install but the way its designed it shouldn't be able to "back off" right?

4. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

The manufacturers of the manual tensioners will say you are living on borrowed time with an auto tensioner. I have 70K+ miles on my 1000 and have not had a problem, although I did upgrade to the newer ratcheting type a few years ago just because.

I, too, am not crazy about the look of the manual tensioner, with a bolt sticking way out, but will probably get one eventually.

5. Scoobys_piece

Me either...wish it wasn't so darn long....if they chopped 2 inches off it, would look much better. That thing has enough threads to tension it to china.

6. tomc585

tomc585 Member

Where did you find this? Part#?

7. pyrofitr1368

pyrofitr1368 Supporting Member

I got a tensioner the minute I found out the oem could fail. As for looks....a bike with a manual tensioner sticking out is better than an engine that needs an entire upper rebuild , new pistons or rods. It's like the woman that wears painful shoes because she feels they look good. My friend who has been racing since '74 saw what I added and was impressed. He felt it was like a bike with blued pipes...means you ride hard and know more than the "weekend warrior".
    I also got the manual tensioner for the alternator chain as well. When I opened the case, I saw I was on borrowed time with that as well. My point, on this site, if the majority of the guys are warning of an issue...don't blow it off...ZLMark didn't and he was (still is really) THE ZL guru.
    Just my opinion. I hate to see a guy chance a catastrophic failure.:thumbsup:

8. mybroszl

mybroszl Active Member

9. mybroszl

mybroszl Active Member

does the alternator use the same tensioner as the cam chain tensioner?

10. WillyD

WillyD Well-Known Member

it can be shortened

11. kawboy

ronayers.com[TABLE="width: 100%"]

<tbody>
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 125"][/TD]
    [TD]
    TENSIONER-ASSY
    Mfg. Part Number: 12048-1113
    SKU: 143722
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: black"]MSRP: $90.72
    Your Price: $73.48[/TD]
    [/TR]

</tbody>
    [/TABLE]

12. mybroszl

mybroszl Active Member

zl store has it for $40

13. kawboy

Yep, it can fail. Anything can fail. Not a common occurence. No impending doom.

Yes, the manual one is cheaper.

14. mudrunner88

mudrunner88 Webmaster Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

No, you want to get a hold of Pete (Kwick) and he can hook you up with one of those. Easy install and comes with everything you should need, don't forget to order a gasket for the clutch cover :thumbsup:

http://kwickstand.net/Hyper-Formance.com/Tensioner_Tamer.html

15. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: My bike has a manual adjuster but I have adjusted it only once in 3 1/2 years. I only moved it in a 1/2 turn & the noise went away & that was at 9000 miles.

16. Scoobys_piece

I haven't put 9K on my sled, but I too love mine, as I ride hard as hell. My poor bike....but I take care of it too. It sees 8K shifts on a regular basis...just love the way it sounds in the upper stratosphere.

17. slug

slug Senior Member

Home made:

[​IMG]

18. slug

slug Senior Member

I dont think you have a handle on the term "hard as hell" - only 8K shifts? Maximum power isnt until 9K! I ride hard and that means hitting redline several times a day :) Im a gentleman though i just make sure she is warmed up first.

19. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: My bike had 8,800 miles on it when I bought it. I adjusted the timing chain at 9,000 miles. I have put 11,000 miles on it since the adjustment. I was just wondering if that was normal to only have to adjust it once over a 11,000 mile span.

20. WillyD

WillyD Well-Known Member

64k miles on mine...have bounced the tach to 12k several times...it still is pulling hard even then..