Get Adobe Flash player
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evapo-rust to the rescue!

Current Bikes
    ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

Default Evapo-rust to the rescue!

Hi Guys,
    I wanted to share my experience with Evapo-rust, I recently had my tank painted and upon getting it back i discovered that while prepping it for paint they had washed the tank with water. The entire inside was covered in a coat of slight rust. I went to the auto parts store and looked for the chemical, it was 10 dollars a quart! I bought it from harbor freight for 100 dollars for a 5 gallon bucket. After filling the tank 2/3rd's with evapo-rust, I placed a test plug from the plumbing supply in the filler neck. I rotated the tank for about 10 days (I know- overkill) and after draining I washed it out with a few bottles of dry gas. Result- No rust! and it looks like new, great stuff and thanks for telling me about it.
    Jim
    Jim
    Black1987, ZL1000A1
    Supertrapps, Stage III, K&N Pods, Spiegler Braided Lines, Targa Chin Fairing
    Owned since 1989,

Current Bikes
    ZL900
    Member's Photo Albums

Default Re: Evapo-rust to the rescue!

Great stuff. I used it for my Busa's tank as well, although I didn't leave it in quite as long as you. 2 days 6 hour intervals rotating with a stainless BB's.Sealed it with "Gold Seal" tank liner, which is in my opinion, THE best tank liner period. Leaves a silver finish that looks bone stock.As you know the key here is P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E.

Current Bikes
    ZL900

I didn't hear anything about Evapo-rust when I did my tank a few months ago but I did use the KBS kit ($35+shpg.) and was extremely pleased with the results.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html

I followed the directions over a 3 day period and it turned out perfect. Sealing the tank is the best thing you should do if you or have someone else re-build the carbs; otherwise, you may not be fixing the root problem.

theZLstore.com
    Super Moderator
    "Strip Warrior", ZL-OA Co-owner
    Current Bikes
    ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

I used evapo-rust on a worst case scenariio tank....

I had a customer who owned a paint shop make a trade of services arrangement with me. I grabbed up the parts to be painted off the shelf and ran them right over to his shop. about two weeks later I got my parts set back... beautiful new black paint..... then I opened up the tank and looked inside....OMG. rust was flakey in there... looked like someone had filled it to the top with salt water and left it for about a year....

so Im thinking oh chit.... I might have really screwed up by sending this beater tank in for paint 'cause getting this one cleaned up will be a miracle...

got three gallons of evopo-rust, filled it up to the top, let it set for about a week and .....Wala! like new inside. no ball bearings or other abrasive stuff required. just fill it up and wait. If evapo-rust can turn that gawd awful rusted tank back into like new metal than there is no job it wont do.

a note to evapo-rust, or any other product users... when your done ya gotta really clean it out.. just swishing around a bit of gas wont do. I believe that while it is devouring the rust it is also clinging or attaching a residue to the metal. you must do a very thorough job of rinsing the tank or the residue will get into your carbs and leave sticky stuff.

just remember to rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. do not use the fuel used to rinse the tank.

as far as the various brands of tank coatings.... not recomended!!!
    nothing is forever... whatever you use to coat the tank will eventually begin to flake or peel and then you got a real problem. the only way to get a perminent solution to this problem is to get that tank cleaned up inside. coatings will only delay your difficulties and then make it worse. there is no product that I am aware of to fix tank coating when it is flaking.

my brothers zl9 had the tank creamed. now he has to run a inline filter to catch the little kreeme corn flakes in his fuel... looks like kitty litter in that clear fule filter. do you want kittly litter in your fuel???? I diddnt think so......EVAPORUST do it once and your done...problem solved....
    Last edited by Bacchus; 01-09-2010 at 07:31 AM.

A modern classic is a cult '80s or '90s motorcycle that's as relevant and exciting now as it was back then

1987 ZL1000--11.8
    1985 ZL900 race bike, big bore
    1985 Vmax #589 restored

Current Bikes
    ZL900
    Member's Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    I didn't hear anything about Evapo-rust when I did my tank a few months ago but I did use the KBS kit ($35+shpg.) and was extremely pleased with the results.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html

I followed the directions over a 3 day period and it turned out perfect. Sealing the tank is the best thing you should do if you or have someone else re-build the carbs; otherwise, you may not be fixing the root problem.
    Thats the stuff I was referring to. great results.

Current Bikes
    ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

bacchus....just curious as to what you use to rinse the tank after cleaning? I did the tank on my 900 in 08...This spring I planning on pulling the carbs and giving them a good cleaning, check and re-sync...I am not having issues at the moment, but I am gonna do that, as well as, valve adj...If I have the time and the funds I will probably do my cam chain, tensioner, etc too....but anyway, while that is all apart I am gonna do evapo-rust on the tank again, just to give it a good cleaning...

Willy

Current Bikes
    ZL900
    Member's Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    I used evapo-rust on a worst case scenariio tank....

I had a customer who owned a paint shop make a trade of services arrangement with me. I grabbed up the parts to be painted off the shelf and ran them right over to his shop. about two weeks later I got my parts set back... beautiful new black paint..... then I opened up the tank and looked inside....OMG. rust was flakey in there... looked like someone had filled it to the top with salt water and left it for about a year....

so Im thinking oh chit.... I might have really screwed up by sending this beater tank in for paint 'cause getting this one cleaned up will be a miracle...

got three gallons of evopo-rust, filled it up to the top, let it set for about a week and .....Wala! like new inside. no ball bearings or other abrasive stuff required. just fill it up and wait. If evapo-rust can turn that gawd awful rusted tank back into like new metal than there is no job it wont do.

a note to evapo-rust, or any other product users... when your done ya gotta really clean it out.. just swishing around a bit of gas wont do. I believe that while it is devouring the rust it is also clinging or attaching a residue to the metal. you must do a very thorough job of rinsing the tank or the residue will get into your carbs and leave sticky stuff.

just remember to rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. do not use the fuel used to rinse the tank.

as far as the various brands of tank coatings.... not recomended!!!
    nothing is forever... whatever you use to coat the tank will eventually begin to flake or peel and then you got a real problem. the only way to get a perminent solution to this problem is to get that tank cleaned up inside. coatings will only delay your difficulties and then make it worse.
    Mostly true , although even Evapo-Rust is not a permanent fix. It does contain a little phosphorus, which in itself can slightly etch the metal. Whenever that occurs, rust can return, although with EvapoRust's synthetic properties may take much longer. Yes some coatings last only so long, partially due to the incorrect application of the product, but tank coatings are different. The creme brand, in my opinion, does not last a long time. I did extensive research on the 3 types of coatings out there (creme, Por-15 & KBS) I've heard good things about the Por-15, but I chose the KBS Gold Standard because of the tons of information, testimonials and a 1 hour 4 step video on the correct way to apply it. Lastly as I mentioned, it leaves a silver "metal like" finish instead of a milky beige or speckled tan finish like the others left. I am very pleased with the results as well. I do not anticipate any problems for many years, but time will tell.Just my 2 cents. As far as the Evapo-Rust, I feel it is THE least abrasive rust remover available. I love the stuff and always have a jug in my garage.
    Last edited by Prostreet; 01-09-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Current Bikes
    ZL600

Humor me for a moment guys, but if one does not have a scaling problem, why do you need to treat the tank at all? If you keep it full like I do mine, how can it rust? Wouldn't constant submersion in gas sorta neutralize rust? I have a replacement tank for my Camaro that has sat awhile and has rusty looking stains inside, but nothing flakey. I'm gonna slap it on as is and see what happens. I suspect it will be just fine.

Current Bikes
    ZL900
    Member's Photo Albums

I can answer your question in one word....Ethonol! Worst crap to come down the pipe. I never ever had any fuel system problems until they started putting that stuff in the gasoline 12 years ago...and now theres up to 10% in most fuels. Your right about keeping the tanl full, but even with that any fuel sitting in a F.I. system will eat at pumps, seals and gaskets. If you have a few bikes as i do, you MUST run them or evacuate the entire system if you plan on letting your bike or car sit for more than a 1 0r 2 Months. I have a few horror stories to back this up.
    Last edited by Prostreet; 01-10-2010 at 07:42 AM.

ZL-OA Co-owner Site Admin furchin's Avatar
    Current Bikes
    ZL600 ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

Prostreet, guess I'm still lucky in my neck of the woods. I can still get NON-ethanol gas for my bikes and cages. Don't run anything else in them. But I do agree with you about having crappy gas that will contaminate everything in it's way.
    '87 ZL1000-Black
    '87 ZL1000-red
    '87 ZL600 -red
    "87 ZL1000-Pearl White
    '96 Voyager