Get Adobe Flash player

Thread: ZL600 Junction Box disassembly

Current Bikes
    ZL600
    Member's Photo Albums

Default ZL600 Junction Box disassembly

I've seen alot of 900/1000 post about the junction/relay box problems. While looking through my parts box, I found I had an extra junction box for a ZL600. At some point in time, some 600 owner might need to repair one of these.

ZL600 Junction Box 26021-1056 (Active Kaw Part Number 59416-1052)
    21. Accessory 10A Fuse 24. Headlight 10A Fuse 27. Starter Circuit Relay
    22. Main 30A Fuse 25. Headlight Relay 28. Diodes for Safety Device
    23. Fan Relay 26. Diodes 29. Tail light 10A Fuse

All Relays are marked “NEC MR301-N9 5 M2” Seems a good replacement is a MR301-9HSL

The back is held on by 4 plastic rivets, one in each corner. Take a drill bit and lightly drill the top off the rivets

The front of the junction box. The two fuses to the left are spares. The fuses to the right, the 30A fuse is the main fuse, the other 10A fuses are the headlight, the tail light and the accessory fuse.

Hmmm, kind of nasty in there!

After a bit of cleaning. I did see a few of the solder pads that looked like they could use a touch with a soldering iron

The top side of the circuit board. Under the left side metal connectors are 5 diodes.
    The relays from left to right, Fan Relay, Headlight Relay, and Starter circuit relay.

All Relays are marked “NEC MR301-N9 5 M2” Seems a good replacement is a MR301-9HSL from what I've read on other Kawasaki Forum's

This type of junction box is used on many different kinds of Kawasaki's some don't have a starter circuit relay or a headlight relay. Make sure if you buy a used part from another Kawasaki that it uses the same circuits as the ZL600.

I would think a bit of superglue or epoxy on the rear plastic panel would hold the junction box back together after repair.

The part (59416-1052) can still be purchased from Kawasaki but the one I can find on ebay is $134

Many different bikes uses this Junction Box:
    1987 - 2006 Vulcan 750
    1987 VN750
    1985 - 1987 ZX600/Ninja 600R/600RX
    1986 - 1987 ZL600

Hope this helps someone along the way.
    Johnny Massengill
    Hopkins SC
    1986 ZL600

Welcome to ZL-OA. A great forum full of great people started by a great man, MJT

"The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese"

Click for Hopkins, South Carolina Forecast

Current Bikes
    ZL900 ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

Default Re: ZL600 Junction Box disassembly

Thanks again Johnny! That sure cleaned up nice
    Kawasaki Eliminator......"Bad News Travels Fast"

1985 ZL900 "Eliminator" Black #503100
    ZG1000 Donor Motor
    ZX1000-A Cylinder Head 16cc Combustion chambers, shaved, ported and polished
    ZX1000-A Cams installed at 104° Int and 106° Exh
    ZX900A 34mm Carbs
    Supertrapps-No discs-No End Caps
    ZX14 Stick Coil Mod
    K&N KA 9084 Cartridge Filter-Stock Airbox
    Factorypro Adjustable Advancer +3°
    Factorypro Shift Kit
    Pingel Power-Flo Fuel Valve 4211CR/A1702C
    AEM 30-4100 Wideband O2 Gauge
    Krieger Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
    1985 Kawasaki ZL Eliminator 900: 11.316 @ 116.390 MPH

1987 ZL1000 Black #501314
    All Stock
    Pingel Power-Flo Fuel Valve 4211CG/A1702C
    " King of the 1/4mi (Stock)"
    1987 Kawasaki ZL ZL1000: 12.093 @ 106.340 MPH

1998 GL1500 Aspencade "The Bat Wing"

Current Bikes
    ZL600

Regarding start problems electrical. Specifically failure to close main start relay.
    My experience is with only the 1997 ZL600B1.
    My ZL600B1 1997 Junction Box has only the start relay (27) but not (23) nor (25) Fan and Headlight Relays resp. The Regulator dimensions are the same as that shown in Jmassengill post but the connections may be different. The electrical drawing, supplied with my bike, does not have the connection pin numbers listed; only the cable colour codes. So it may be that numbers on the J diagram may differ to those on the 1997 version although both versions use the 10 pin and 8 pin connectors. I could work out the pin numbers but so far managed without. My notes are instigated by a start failure. When pressing the ‘start’ pushbutton only occasionally would the engine be turned over. Mostly the start relay in the Junction Box ‘buzzed’. I concluded that there was a poor connection somewhere in the wiring. When I connected the battery 12v+ direct to the relay connection on the Junction Box (doing this bypasses the kill switch, the ignition switch and the start pushbutton)-the relay closed OK and delivered the 12V+ to the engine start terminal. I also touched a wire from the battery –ve terminal to the bottom end, ie negative end, of the relay and it made no difference so was able to conclude it was not a problem in the negative route from the Junction Box to ground (gearbox, stand contacts etc.,).
    So I was able to conclude that the fault lay in the positive path, from the battery + terminal via the handle bar switch cluster and back to the relay input connection on the Junction Box. It was necessary to remove the cover from the Junction Box to expose the connections to the relay. The relay pcb has a diode in series with the winding (I note this because on the J version there is not a diode in series with the relay winding). Not too sure of the reason for this diode which is marked ZD which hints at it being a zener diode. When measuring the resistance in the positive path, with the start pushbutton pressed of course, the reading fluctuated between zero and about 300 ohms. Not good! Dismantling the right handlebar switch cluster I could see immediately that the problem was the start pushbutton contacts which were black-no doubt carbon arising from arcing of these contacts. I cleaned up the contacts and my problem was solved. Well! After my third attempt at putting the starter pushbutton conical spring back into position the right way up!
    My only other comment is to note that the switch cluster on the 1996 ZL600B does not incorporate the headlamp switch. So if one contemplates buying a new switch cluster for the 1997 ZL600B1 it needs to be the one that does incorporate the Headlamp switch.
    Hope these comments are helpful and don’t confuse.

Current Bikes
    ZL600
    Member's Photo Albums

do you have photos of the inside of the 96/97 ZL600 junction box? I would LOVE to add more information about the newer 600's in the forum.

Thanks you!
    Johnny Massengill
    Hopkins SC
    1986 ZL600

Welcome to ZL-OA. A great forum full of great people started by a great man, MJT

"The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese"

Current Bikes
    ZL600

Quote Originally Posted by jmassengill View Post
    do you have photos of the inside of the 96/97 ZL600 junction box? I would LOVE to add more information about the newer 600's in the forum.

Thanks you!
    I have prepared a 900 word explanation of what I did to solve my switching problem. I have also 10 photos to which I have added comments. I can of course let you have those same photos without comments as well.
    However am I allowed to post 900 words accompanied by 10 photos?

Current Bikes
    ZL600
    Member's Photo Albums

Kennbkenny,
    Contact Mudrunner or Furchin by private message and explain to them what you have done and that you have photos to back it all up and I'm quite sure they will publish the information in the Tech section as there isn't much ZL600B information on the forum.

If I can help in some way, please send me a PM and I'll do all I can to help.
    Johnny Massengill
    Hopkins SC
    1986 ZL600