Get Adobe Flash player
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Timing Chain Tensioner

Current Bikes
    ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

Default Re: Timing Chain Tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by WillyD View Post
    64k miles on mine...have bounced the tach to 12k several times...it still is pulling hard even then..
    My ZL 1 hits the REV limiter at 11,200 RPM
    Last edited by R. J.; 05-19-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    THERE ARE FEW JOYS EQUAL TO THE FREE-SPIRITED THRILL AND EXPERIENCE OF RIDING AN ELIMINATOR MUSCLE CRUISER

"King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)" paulfun's Avatar
    Current Bikes
    ZL900 ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

Yes my bike also hits the rev limiter before 12K.
    86 zl9
    85 zl9
    87 zl1
    87 zl1
    1700 thunderbird

Current Bikes
    ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

well when you have it wanked all the way and you are tryin to keep an eye on everything its real hard to decipher those tiny numbers and maybe with my bouncy tach its reading off but i know 8k is more of a launch rpm than an omg rpm....lol

Current Bikes
    ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by WillyD View Post
    well when you have it wanked all the way and you are tryin to keep an eye on everything its real hard to decipher those tiny numbers and maybe with my bouncy tach its reading off but i know 8k is more of a launch rpm than an omg rpm....lol
    My tach also used to bounce & could no longer keep up with the bikes revs so I installed a Daytona meters digital tach. $135. Then later on I found a used ZL 600 tach on E-bay $55 that works perfect. The only difference is the face plate has the red at 11,000 RPM instead of 10,500 RPM. I wanted to change out the face plate but should leave well enough alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by R. J.; 05-19-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    THERE ARE FEW JOYS EQUAL TO THE FREE-SPIRITED THRILL AND EXPERIENCE OF RIDING AN ELIMINATOR MUSCLE CRUISER

Current Bikes
    ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

you just like looking at the 500 rpm " boost ". lol.

Current Bikes
    ZL900
    Member's Photo Albums

I'm noticing some "extra" noise from what I suspect is the timing chain. I reset the OEM tensioner but its still there. Could (at 19k miles) it also be time for a new chain and guides along with a manual tensioner? If I need to open her up I figure I will bite the bullet and do the starter/alt tensioner too. What are your thoughts on the +4 deg adv? I'm stock with a K&N in the airbox.
    I remember someone posting to buy the parts for the Concours. Thanks.

Banned
    Current Bikes
    ZL1000

Quote Originally Posted by tomc585 View Post
    I'm noticing some "extra" noise from what I suspect is the timing chain. I reset the OEM tensioner but its still there. Could (at 19k miles) it also be time for a new chain and guides along with a manual tensioner? If I need to open her up I figure I will bite the bullet and do the starter/alt tensioner too. What are your thoughts on the +4 deg adv? I'm stock with a K&N in the airbox.
    I remember someone posting to buy the parts for the Concours. Thanks.
    It is time to change it if it rattles. This is an unfortunate indicator of a bike that hasn't had the oil changed often enough. Cam chains are very sensitive to this! I bought a 750 turbo with approx 6500 miles on it with one! Others will recommend upgrading the tensioner. I have had good luck with the factory ones and have seen bikes with upwards of 100k running them so I don't see a need. Fortunately...it is more of an annoyance than anything else for a while. I have seen guys run rattling cam chains for tens of thousands of miles with no problems. That said...get to it when you can because you're an embarrassment to the rest of us!

Current Bikes
    ZL900
    Member's Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyRokstar View Post
    It is time to change it if it rattles. This is an unfortunate indicator of a bike that hasn't had the oil changed often enough.
    Since I've changed the oil every 2,000 miles since new I doubt this was a contributor but thanks for your input.

Edit:I found a note I wrote to myself to use 2000 Concours ZG1000 parts, is that correct?
    Last edited by tomc585; 06-24-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Banned
    Current Bikes
    ZL1000

Quote Originally Posted by tomc585 View Post
    Since I've changed the oil every 2,000 miles since new I doubt this was a contributor but thanks for your input.

Edit:I found a note I wrote to myself to use 2000 Concours ZG1000 parts, is that correct?
    There are exceptions to every rule....what oil did you use? 20/50 or synthetic will help keep it from happening again (10/40 is only good for cold weather use)...IMO if it's past the limits of the stock tensioner...it is technically worn out...I would therefore replace it regardless of what tensioner you run.

Current Bikes
    ZL1000
    Member's Photo Albums

ZL MARK has a thread for the 6 row link set up. They are the parts listed for the 2006 ZG 1000 Connie. He has all the part #s & @ prices for all the parts.