1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

‘86 ZL900 custom project

Jonathan Mar 25, 2020

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

6F15319A-4ED9-478E-B6A4-C6F939974F37.jpeg I guess I’ll use this thread here since it is titled properly to document and add pics as I make progress on the assembly of this project. I understand that some may have different views and opinions and I can take any kind of comments without being offended so please feel free to share your thoughts. With that being said ...this bike was acquired last summer in a trade. I had an old generator that I traded some old used car stereo equipment for. The bike ran (very rough) and had a title. Ultimately I had about $80 in this when I brought it home.
    ....so this morning I got the carbs put on and the rearsets mounted.

R. J. and Trojan441 like this.
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Motor paint looks darker in this photo. You got a screaming deal on it and it's nice to see it being brought back to life.:thumbsup:

Jonathan likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

According to the guy I got it from , it was his sons bike and he parked it outside while he served some time in prison. It sat outside uncovered for at least 5 years he said. Boy did it look like it too. I was very close to backing out of the deal. If I hadn’t driven so far for it I probably would’ve lol. My original plan was to put the power plant in an old cold cart but that changed as I was stripping this bike apart.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

30F69D82-4310-4711-86A2-44DF8369AC7A.jpeg Swingarm and rear suspension put on this morning.

R. J. likes this.
  5. 87kawzl

I can almost see the Sparks flying off that brake lever. Is it adjustable? If so you may want to tilt it up a few degrees.

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Coming along nicely. That blue matches the braided lines. :notworthy:.

Jonathan likes this.
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

when the weight of the bike is on the wheel it’s nowhere near the ground. It’s only that way in the pic because the frame is supporting everything right now and the shock is completely relaxed

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

But I do have a full 3” of suspension adjustment if I need to do anything. I actually will most likely need a stiffer spring because when I had it all together , it was a little too soft. It will be a “work in progress” for quite some time I think

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

2F051F54-5397-4021-BAC8-244E2D09DF5D.jpeg 9CBD3A20-E109-402E-830A-3FA7403B98D3.jpeg

10. 87kawzl

Made some great progress! Looking good:popcorn: