1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

1/4 mile times...ZL1000

WillyD Dec 27, 2010

1. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

OK...Who holds the STOCK ZL1 record for !/4 mile time? Just curious...

My 900 will be gone by spring (or before) so that means any drag time I have next summer will have to be on the 1K...Just wondering what to shoot for....

Willy

2. Bacchus

Bacchus Senior Member Supporting Member

I believe the winner is ZLmark with his bone stock zl1000

3. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

yep 12.09 with no mods

4. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Well...that is what I will be gunning for....

5. desertrefugee

desertrefugee Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything, but is everybody happy with that being the benchmark?

Where the heck are the high 10 second times? I know, I know, easy for me to sit here with no runs on mine and complain, but sheesh I thought these things were quicker than that...

Were we all fed a line of carp 25 years ago or what?

A mid displacement metric V twin will post a 12 second time.

6. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Magazines fed us a bunch of crap..... but they did it with all the other bikes too!

I'd expect me to get into the 11's next summer with the ZL1000. I have yet to run a stock ZL900 but the butt dyno tells me the ZL900 will be quicker because it has A higher power curve, the ZL1000 has arm stretching torque but quickly runs out of steam

7. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

I don't think a stock ZL ever hit the 10's, but the fastest times (low 11's) were hit by a 130 lb pro drag racer. None of us are pros, and probably no 130 pounders in the bunch either :laughing7:

8. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

I would love to get some runs in this summer and I would be happy to get somewhere in the 11's....I know my butt dino told me that the difference between my 900 and 1K put my 1K ahead of the 9 in every aspect of power...Either my 1K is ultra fast or my 900 wasn't up to par...

I know it is just speedo indicated but my 1K usually is bangin 55 at the top of first and about 85 at the top of second. When 3rd is at the top, she is about 105. I somehow feel that in the 1/4 I would be in the middle to top of 4th gear....Granted on the street when I romp, it is usually after rolling start and ET is not measured....

btw, I have heard rumors that the 1300 VTX ran in the 13's at the strip. The difference in feel of acceleration between my 1K and my VTX tells me the VTX is nowhere near the FEELING of accel, but surprisingly when I look down at the speedo, I am doing faster that what I thought (on the VTX)...

9. Bacchus

D-refuge

these bikes were designed to dominate from holeshot to the first 1\8 mile.
    I am planning on getting out to the track in a couple of weeks with a couple of other guys including another zl... care to join us and get some numbers for yours?

10. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Oh god, another winter of bacchus' smack talk :laughing7:

11. Bacchus

dont worry mark you are safe ... all mine have been modified..lol
    I do have an "interanally stock" zl1000 but no bone stock ones..

I have tenitively scheduled for a week from this saturday with trtile, and Im hoping the refuge, elimaxd and kwick may come out to play as well...I dunno about refugee and elimax though.... they both own a vmax.. Uknow how those vmax guys are...lol

besides I wont start the smack until I got the numbers again.....

we'll see.... I would have to beat paul's 11.6x with my zl1000, which is do-able but aint gonna be easy.... for all my efforts since he squeaked past me I have manged to make changes that have produced only about 2hp additional from what I was pullin' when I ran my 11.8x... still think all I need is a better run to do it, but more hp helps...

.....and what was it that gremlin ran...11.3x..? I think I've got the bike to get close or even past that but I gotta get some things worked out on it before I do the 1\4 with it....seat of the pants assometer says this one is significantly quicker than my zl1000... somebody's 11.5x may be in jepordy though...lol

hopefullly we can use my brothers big flat bed trailer and bring at least four bikes for playtime at the track next time out.... we'll see how it goes... november is really the ideal month for best runs... nice n' cool and low humiditiy. this year has been different, still not cold here.. I like to go for the best runs when that air is dry and good and cold... december & january tend to have more humidity and rain likes to pop up..

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  12. desertrefugee

desertrefugee Well-Known Member

I'm definitely interested.

But, as you surmised further down, I might opt to take out the Max.

I'm sure you'd understand...

Besides, that high RPM stumble on the ZL that I thought I'd solved is still with me - but a bit less. It seems to only present after full throttle application, then backing off and applying throttle again.

Smacks strongly of fuel starvation...still. Gonna investigate the cap vent.

13. Bacchus

I cleaned out the cap vent system throughly... but double check.... if that dont do it, you probably are in need of a pingle fuel tap... or possibly a main jet change is necessary... got a whole selcetion of those too...

as far a briningin' the 'max.... yeah that works for me !!! been itchin for some ZL vs. Vmax action for about 4 years bro... do me a favor and get ahold of elimax and see if you cant get him to come out and bring his 'max as well !

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  14. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

15. Smokey da bear

Smokey da bear New Member

I know this is old but i wanna say not entirely true, the old honda magna and sabre 1100 v4 could run low 11s and some people could get high 10s, and my first time to the drag ever i ran an 11.5 on my stock vmax 1200 so im sure their are people doin high 10s stock.

16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The pros have gotten both the ZL 9 & 10 in the low 11s. ZL 9 11.13 1/4 mile ET & the ZL 10 11.17 sec. The first gen VMAX 10.89 E/T. The new VMAX is a much heavier bike & it runs the 1/4 mile in the mid 11s.

17. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

Back inthe day when my ZL1000 was fairly young, I raced another ZL1000 that had RX cams in at Santa Pod (UK)

I always got a bike or two length in front of him by the 1/4 but he came back at the top end and we usually recorded almost identical times. Whe we got it right we both set best times of 11.6

18. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

The cams in the zl were ground for tq on the street, I'll take the low end grunt over top end every day of the week.

RJ, the new max is over 200hp and is in cycle world vs the triumph with a posted 1/4mi of 10.11.
    Its not that heavy to make it a mid 11, the rocket came in at mid 11's in that article. The new max or the old max for that matter are no joke when it comes down to putting the power down.

R. J. likes this.