1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

1988 250 Eliminator

R. J. Oct 22, 2016

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I picked up the bike from my Nephew who lives in Hubbard OH. I just loaded it up. I'll be leaving for PA in the morning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Is that the one you got from Chris a few months ago? I don't remember that bike being so clean but it's been awhile since I've laid eyes on it too. Looks in nice shape; is it for the wife?

R. J. likes this.
  3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Yes it was Chris's. It's in good shape. I rubbed it out. A lot of the scratches & mars came out. I'm going to bow hunt in PA for 3 or 4 days then head back to FL.

4. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup: LOOKS nice RJ!!

R. J. likes this.
  5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thank's, I got home today at 5 PM. I drove 12 straight hours from Caulpepper VA. I'll unload the bike tomorrow.

6. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

glad you made it home safely with bike. keep me posted as to if you find the misplaced title i sent you, if not, i will get in to title agency & get you another.:thumbsup:

Chris

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thank's Chris. I'll keep you posted on the misplaced title.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  8. madmanncr500

:banghead: .....................its next to his sunglasses he can never find:rotf:

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My son Jared & I started working on the 250 this morning. I bought a NOS rear seat & bracket from E Bay for $140 along with 2 NOS chrome foot peg brackets which was $12 each. Also from www.motosport.com I bought all the hardware for the rear foot pegs. Cost was $50. In addition I picked up a NOS K&N air filter for $25 also from E Bay. This morning I ordered the lower right black side cover which was missing along with some new hardware.

Attached Files:

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Chris I'm still looking for the title & thank's for the NOS side cover decals & fuel tap. If I do not find the title by the end of the Month I'll have to get you to apply for another one. Also I picked up a few extra parts. This 250 is for my 19 year old son Jared. My wife Deb may also ride it. She hasn't rode since 2007 in the dirt & on the street since 1981.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I received my replacement right side cover USPS today. It's in excellent shape. It came from Japan $60 shipped. I'm also going to need to replace the left one. I broke it while removing it. 30 year old plastic is very brittle. :laughing7:

Attached Files:

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I bought a SHORAI lithium battery & charger for the 250. They cost $190 shipped.

Attached Files:

13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Today I cleaned up the frame & wiring harness. I unplugged all the connectors, cleaned them & put a dab of dielectric grease on all of them Then plugged them all back together. I installed the new SHORAI lithium battery. Replaced the rusty hardware with all new OEM bolts, nuts & screws. Also installed the new K&N air filter. Installed the NOS rear seat & NOS rear seat brackets. Installed a new flasher relay. Installed the NOS chrome passenger peg brackets along with new rear passenger foot rests & NOS rear foot rest brackets. I also bought a new lower right black side cover. It was missing. Installed a new tail light gasket. It was also missing. I also replaced one of the rear side marker brackets with a NOS one. It was bent & had a small crack in it. I drained the carbs. The fuel is greenish in color. I opened the float bowls & ran some new fuel threw them. Some black junk came out. Last but not least I started the bike. It runs rough. Next I'll pull the carbs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I removed the carbs last night. It took about 45 minutes. Today I disassembled them & put them in my Fisher Scientific FS60H ultrasonic cleaner. It has heaters that goes up to 135* F & has a one hour timer. I used my SHARPERTEX SC20 degreaser carb cleaning solution. It's $60 a gal & is reusable. I'll filter it threw a coffee filter before putting it in a metal can for storage. Shelf live is 2 years minimum. It is formulated for ultrasonic cleaners. I mixed 16 ozs. of solution to 1 1/4 gal. of purified reverse osmosis water. First I done all the internal parts for 30 minutes. Then the carbs for an hour. Tomorrow I'll reassemble the carbs & hopefully get them back on the bike. Also I bought all SS cap screws for the carbs instead of using phillip head screws.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  15. madmanncr500

Man of many talents:thumbsup: Lill guy will be looking good and running good! Nice job brother:headbang:

16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thank's MadBoy. I didn't bother dissembling the cab banks. Do ya think I should of. I was told when using a ultrasonic cleaner that it works all the foreign matter from all the nooks & crannies of the subject. How an ultrasonic cleaner performs is millions of tiny explosions happen simultaneously with heat applied removes all foreign particlets best.

17. madmanncr500

I would have just for peace of mind!....but im O.C.D......:rotf:

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: OK: I did only because I already had all the O-rings. The EL 250 & ZL 1000 share most of the carbs internals. I set the floats to 17 MM unloaded. The manual has a pic of the cabs tilted at about 30* so I guess that means unloaded. Carbs are all buttoned up ready to go back on the bike. I removed all the air box screws and slid it back about an inch to make more room for reinstalling of the carbs. I won't be able to install the carbs until after Dec. 8th. I need two carb vacuum hoses, one air mixture screw flat washer & 6 small pig tail hose clamps for the carbs vacuum lines.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: This morning I filled up the fuel tank with distilled white vinegar to clean out the rust & other particulates. I ordered new OEM fuel filters & O-rings. On the old ones the one for reserve is missing the brass rod & the long/tall one is missing the filter cap screen. The rear duck bill fender is cracked & the front fender has 5 dents in it so I bought a used front fender free of dents $50 shipped. Also I bought a used duck bill from Japan $70 shipped. I finished padding the battery compartment for the new SHORAI battery.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  20. madmanncr500

Lill guy getting lots of love:headbang:
    Gonna make your boy a really nice starter bike! Hope he appreciate's dads hard work and $$ in the lill guy!!:thumbsup:

R. J. likes this.