1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

$300 Eliminator 900

Jasonk117 Jul 26, 2017

?

Will you help?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jasonk117

Jasonk117 New Member

First post! Hey my name is Jason I'm 23 and I just purchased a $300 Eliminator 900. I am relatively mechanical inclined. I have limited funds and a decent amount of tools. I'm not sure what question to ask as of yet due to it being 0145 and I have just seen the bike for the first time($300 remember) so if this whole website is the real deal and y'all love these bikes. I ask that you help me rebuild this bike with the best experience you have so that I may learn to love and appreciate these bikes as you do.

Thank you for your consideration
    Jason

Attached Files:

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

What's your budget? Check out the engine well before laying out cash getting it running make sure the thing turns over by hand and there is no bent rod in there. Did you have any background info on why the carbs were pulled? Download the manuals from the site. Looks not far from complete, but will set ya back a bunch if your looking to make it anything more than a runner. You get the title signed over and notarized?

Sure we are willing to help, it's nice seeing younger people into the older bikes.

Jasonk117 likes this.
  3. Jasonk117

Jasonk117 New Member

I'm working part time but a have limited bills so the majority of my money will be put into getin this running. He said one carb leaks and it caught fire on him while at a stop light. No title or bill of sale just 200 bucks now the 100 when I have it for another set of carbs. But I don't think the guy knows much more than I do. So minimal at best. Also looking at what the bike could become is exhilarating. I know it'll take time but if I can get it rebuilt I'll have so much more appreciation for it!

4. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: First thing turn the motor over clockwise by hand using a ratchet from the left side of the motor with spark plugs out. Next using a 1/4 inch dowel rod @ 12 inches long & a black sharpie check for bent rods. Compare cyn 1 & 4 to each other then cyn 2 & 3. Next hook up a good battery. With spark plugs out, coils off & CDI/ECU disconnected. Turn over motor with starter be careful that fuel does not come gushing out of spark plug wells. Put some rags over the valve cover so that you don't get hit with fuel/gas. If the starter turns & the motor does not spin then you may have a bad starter clutch assy. If all this is good then do a compression test with carbs off or throttle wide open. You want at least 125 PSI in each cyn. If < that the valves should be adjusted. Rick from www.oldskoolcarbs.com will redo your carbs. He has a special for $165 regular $235 Ebay price.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    jim likes this.
  5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

I wouldn't drop a dime till you have a title. Until the title is sorted it is a parts bike. Even then you need to practically dig a hole and bury the frame once it's parted out.

kvalheim likes this.
  6. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

I agree and it would also be a good way to be charged with receiving stolen property:banghead:. I would not touch it without a title. I would ask for the vin # to be run and make sure it's not stolen. Sounds fishy

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: If the bike is titled in your state tell the seller to apply for a lost title. If it wasn't in the sellers name go back to who ever held the title.

8. Jasonk117

Jasonk117 New Member

How do I find the title holder?

9. Jasonk117

Jasonk117 New Member

I have the vin tried googling it little information came up without charge and as I said limited funds. How do I get all the information for free or cheapest?

10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:laughing7: Contact your local tag office to see if they can help.

11. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

We'll either help you build, or buy the parts, either way, you win

12. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Now this is just one guys opinion, but you will save yourself money and aggravation in the long run by buying another bike and using this one for parts. It will be a labor of love to restore this one. If you got a lot of time on your hands and want a challenge go for it. If you are more interested in riding and want to do it on the cheap, buy a running bike and use this one as a source of parts. What you don't use can likely be sold for pretty good money. When all is said and done I suspect this plan will have you riding sooner and for less money. These are not the easiest bikes in the world to work on and parts can be hard to find and pricey.

Nice find though. Well worth $300, a money maker if you want to part it out. If you want to get it rideable though unless you're quite lucky it could end up being the proverbial money pit.

Like the other guys have said check the engine out and get a title before spending money on it. In general if you buy a vehicle without a title you won't be able to plate it. That's the idea you know. No title = no plates and the license branch usually will not be sympathetic. The whole reason we have titles is to ensure that only the title holder can plate it. The title owner IS the owner you know. If somebody shows up at your door with a cop and the title they'll be taking that bike home since they legally own it still.

Just my take on things.

13. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

Depending on where your located,, you will have different paths to take for accuiring the title or "Release of interest"
    in California the first stop is the DMV office. Take to them the Frame and engine # and ask for the last known registered owners address. then you send a registered letter requesting a release of interest of said vehicle, if the letter comes back "not at this address" the DMV transfers title to you.
    You may also check with the Highway patrol office as they also verify VIN #'s when the DMV has trouble with out of state vin's

My concern is you mentioned FIRE,, that will cause cooked wires amonst other things
    the pic you shared shows the engine has been painted, probably to hide things (damage)
    also the bars look bent, so maybe a lay down occurred

part it or pass

my 2cnts