1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

600 airbox/pods

Joe Apr 29, 2019

1. Joe

Joe Member

Unfortunately I have to take the airbox out of my 600 and swap for pods. The rubbers will not seal to the airbox anymore they keep and popping off carbs 2-3 making the bike run lean and off the box itself I can't seem to find a replacement airbox or rubbers either. Anyone have experience in doing this to a 600?

Attached Files:

2. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Looking at your picture I can see one of the boots is not aligned correctly. Make sure all boots are in the correct position as related to carbs 1 thru 4 and all boots have the indents aligned with the small tabs on the air box.

3. Joe

Joe Member

I did go and fix it and align all the tabs just never got a picture of them afterwards unfortunately they still don't seal I should have put up the picture after I fixed it. But two and three still pop off. Major flat spot at 5-7 grand and sounds like it's running way lean then clears out a bit but still not quite the power it normally has. The rubbers around number 4 is pulling air in it as well you spray carb cleaner near it and the motor sucks it up so they are leaking and it's aligned right. Three also has a minor split in it you can see in the photo

4. Joe

Joe Member

Just to give more information on that I spent about three hours the other day trying to twist those boots and get them to seal properly I to both the carbs and airbox. I did "seal" the split as well. Carbs 2-3 using a bit of time and oil to lube them up still will not sit on the carbs far enough to not pop off without separation from the airbox itself. It's 33 year old rubbers so I don't expect too much out of them. In a few days I'll get another picture of how they currently sit but I think I'm just going to send the carbs to Rick and have him set em up for pods and do away with that box entirely. I'm sure he's got far more experience setting up carbs for that type of stuff then I ever will.

5. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

6. Joe

Joe Member

Well it would be the cost of the pods and then Rick's fee but I do need him to go through them anyway. I'm surprised you found those boots I wonder if they are the same for all 4 I may keep it stock would be less headache but the cost would be comparable between the two. A buddy of mine can 3d print a new "airbox" so I can cut it up and keep the chrome side covers so it would look the same. So either way it would be fine and comparable in price.

7. prfixer

According to Kawasaki website parts fiche, they are all the same. A deviation from its bigger brothers, the 900 and 1000,which each have two different boots.

8. Joe

Joe Member

Cool deal I'll put some thought into this and I'll decide what I'm going to have Rick do when I send him the carbs. Is there an easy way to look up these part numbers? You guys seem to be really fast with finding them.

9. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I just spent $60 on uni filter pods then figure a jet kit and time to tune. Then you will probably ditch the side covers which IMHO takes away from the looks of the bike.

What I'm trying to say is find some repop rubbers or pony up for OEM

10. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

As prfixer stated in his post-----------"Kawasaki website parts fiche"
    Partzilla also has numbers

11. Joe

Joe Member

No ditching the side covers here. As I said I have a buddy who will 3d print me a "airbox" or at least the shell. Cut it up as needed to fit with pods bolt it in place with the rubbers and pop the side covers back in.

12. 87kawzl

My side covers are held on with the remains of a cut up airbox. There is also a bar running across the front bottom with screws through the chrome covers.

Pods and jets will more than likely drop your low end tq and add only a few ponies in the top quarter of the rpm range. When I first got mine, stock exhaust was missing a couple of gaskets, when I replaced them it didn't want to run at high rpms with the jets that were in there. That's when I bought the super trapps. Be prepared to make some exhaust/timing changes if you want to make the most out of it.

13. prfixer

kawasaki.com Under the "owner center" is a link for parts. Enter your info and it will bring up the parts fiches.

14. Joe

Joe Member

Thanks prfixer of you I did just enter in my information and that damn thing is Handy. Also 87 I may just end up going with the stock box less headache. Mine has factory exhaust and I would like to keep it as close to stock as possible. I'll snag some of those tubes when I send Rick the carbs and keep it stock I believe. Thanks guys.

15. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I think that's your best choice. Good decision.

16. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

I would second the decision and I wish that I would have keep my stock exhaust. Rick is the master with the carbs. You wont regret your decision,

17. Joe

Joe Member

Figured I'd give whena small update when I took it apart the other day. I figured out how bad that box is. Someone who had it off last tried to separate the two halves of that air box. The front half that's glued and screwed into the back half is all chewed up and bowed out across the top and making it not seal correctly. So I would either have to replace rubbers and airbox or just put pods on it. Rick west is setting the carbs up for pods and that's it shame for chrome side covers but I'll figure out how to get em on. Since the old airbox is junk I may just cut it up and make it fit around pods.

18. 87kawzl

19. Joe

Joe Member

Appreciate it but it's a good bit different on the 600. I was planning on having a buddy 3d print an airbox I could cut up but since airbox is junk I'll probably skip a step and use it for that.

20. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Member

Joe if you get the ovaled pods and get a dyna jet for the carbs then you should be fine . Check my media posts. Dave