1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

7th Gear,,,???

Ducky Dog Nov 19, 2017

1. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

After realizing the ZL9 has limited range Im looking to possibly invest in the 7th gear outdrive
    I have emailed Steve and waiting a response. So does anyone have a stock outdrive they can part with ?
    I want to be able to still ride until I do the swap.

2. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

3. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

So, to do this , do we just need the engine side bevel drive...or both bevel drives?

4. Harriminator

Only the front bevel drive; prob. may be the gasket if paper or metal, depends on ZG building year but can be found in the web.

The input gear of the ZG has 2 teeth more than the ZL, so lower rpm @ same speed.

5. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

I have been chatting with Steve (7th gear guy) he told me to swap out with a ZG1000 concourse Drive, Its a lot less expensive
    Find what your like on the fleabay,,, less than a 100$ and a day in the garage and you got some highway gearing,,, not a bad deal.

6. Harriminator

So he swaps front bevel drive + swing arm? The final drives are equal but ZG has no bolt for the shock AFAIK. The shaft drive of ZG is 21MM longer than ZL and won't fit in the ZL swing arm - most easy way is only to implant ZG front bevel on the ZL engine.

7. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

No,, Maybe I didn't word that to your consumption,,,,
    I was told to change the Front bevel gear assembly at the engine, the ZL drive shaft will fit and the bevel gear unit will connect to the trans. I will insert my shift mechanism into the Connie bevel drive housing

I just got the last gasket from fleabay,, looks like card stock with a bead of sealer on it.
    Im sure someone with cut and paste skills can make one if need be

8. Harriminator

Got it, the way it used to be; this Steve is more on the ZG side and I think he gives the 7th to the connies by a Voyager bevel ??? Found it somewhere in web...

9. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

Got my Connie 1000 front bevel gear from fleabay $84
    replaced the seals and checked the nut torque on the gear shafts
    cleaned it up and gave here a fresh coat of satin black
    all I need now is the time to change her out. also got all new seals and orings for the water pump connections along with a case gasket.
    :):laughing7: