1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

'85 ZL900 dies when shifting into first

bigdavet May 24, 2018

1. bigdavet

bigdavet New Member

Yep, leave it to me to screw up a simple oil change. I accidently unscrewed the wrong bolt in the front, and now it dies when i shift into first gear. Neutral detente or something like that? Easy fix or hard?

Attached Files:

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Check the safety switches on the clutch lever and kickstand

3. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

The clutch switch won't affect dying, only starting. The kickstand switch and the neutral switch will. I would check both of those. My guess is the kickstand switch.

4. bigdavet

bigdavet New Member

Yes, like an idiot, I tried shifting into first with the kickstand down. It works fine...!

5. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Even with it down, it shouldn't kill the motor until you try and release the clutch also. Will it crank over in gear without the clutch being pulled in?(Be careful trying that!)

6. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Been there, done that. First ride of the year a couple years back. Felt like such a doofus once I figured it out.

7. Wissler

Wissler Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Worse than that, my kickstand switch is currently faulty. So far I took off 3 times last week with it down.

8. W_L

W_L New Member

Good to know. I have experienced this issue couple of times this week. Now it makes perfect sense. I will need to inspect it.