1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Filter Assembly

JohnB Oct 23, 2017

1. JohnB

JohnB New Member

I recently purchased a 1985 ZL 900 that had KN filters installed; I would very much like to do back to the stock air filter assembly; any ideas as to where I could find this, or am I dreaming?

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Those filters are used in many different Kawasaki's .......just go to your local dealer or order from an online parts supplier.

3. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Thanks for the reply Markus56; I am looking for the complete air filter assembly and not just the filter (air ducts, breather box and all associated bits and pieces); any ideas on where to get these?

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You want the airbox assembly. They come up on e-bay and here at times.

JohnB likes this.
  5. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

JohnB likes this.
  6. markus56

Yeah, I would message the vendor and ask if all tabs are intact......many times they are not. If not, the chrome airbox covers won't fit very well.

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The 2006 OEM ZG 1000 intake boots will work on the ZL 9. Also TORMAX & or K&L make them which are direct OEM replacements. Price for all 4 is $38 shipped from/on E-Bay. Check www.partzilla.com for OEM prices before you buy aftermarket. I would not buy used ones.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. JohnB

JohnB New Member

9. markus56

Yes, they are the exact same airbox on the ZL900 and the ZL1000.

JohnB likes this.
  10. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes, the boxes are the same. However the boots to carb are different and you wouldn't want to try and use those crusty baked ones anyway. Search the forum for all the threads out there that talk about the need for soft and pliable boots.

JohnB likes this.