1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Antipodean ZL1000's

Michael Churchill Aug 6, 2018

1. Michael Churchill

Michael Churchill New Member

Hi there, I am a newbie having just bought a pair of rough but near-complete ZL1000's. They are both the same blue metallic colour and in need a lot of work. The VIN on one is 10/87 #1419 and the other is 1/88 #1586. I am excited to be starting the restorations and to have found this group. Best wishes, Michael

Attached Files:

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Welcome, you Aussies are lucky to have that cosmic blue, that is a great color on the 1000. Best wishes on the restoration let us know if ya have any questions.

3. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Good luck with the restoration work, not sure of the capacity of the petrol tank on the ZL1000, but it might be worth getting them enlarged if they are small, U do not want to run out of fuel in the Outback!

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You've got your hands full restoring those two but certainly doable. We have parts over here in the States if you find they're too scarce over there.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The ZL 1000 holds 4.9 gal. That blue is a nice color. :notworthy:.

6. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Much bigger capacity than the 900cc version!

7. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

Is there a kawasaki code for the blue colour?

Thinking of blue for my rebuild.

8. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Wow, years of restoration fun! Don't get discouraged
    It'll take time, but the results are worth it!

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah, that Galaxy Blue is a gorgeous color and I'd love to recreate it.

10. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Galaxy blue, i stand corrected.
    Surely they can get an accurate match on the blue with the digital devices the paint people use nowadays.

11. markus56

I'll bet it's a candy color and has the same base coats as the red but I do know it's got alot of flake in it. I think we're both right.....it's Cosmic Galaxy Blue I believe.

12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

13. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Colour is so important on motorcycles! The 600 I bought is red under the blue, but I haven't decided what colour it is going to be yet. My main K75 was purple, I hated it and changed it to white, looked like a police bike after that! The other was is Saffron and black. I had a 1980s Honda, official colour Midnight Blue, Z650 Candy Apple Red, BSA Red/Black chrome, BSA Polychromatic metal-flake light Blue & White /chrome "Show colours"; Z:400, Black Grey tank panels, gold pinstriping. The frame colour I usually change too, but the ZL400 When I restore it will I think be left black. My theory is dull bikes generally have dull characters, however, you can go too much the other way and I seen bikes which look like a multi-coloured ice lolly and not likea bike at all!

14. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

When repainting I always debate whether to stay traditional and perhaps hold more value by sticking with factory original colors, but generally prefer dark blues and black. My last Kaw came with a piss poor paint job in what turned out to be a Chrysler blue.....ugh. I went with 13 coats of black lacquer which I wet sanded and buffed to a mirror finish. Also painted my last Camaro black, because I had no other black vehicles at the time. I was going with blue, but then picked up a Navy Blue Metallic Z28 and didn't want two blue Camaros. Red is cool though and I'm happy with how my ZL looks.

IMO that blue you guys are talking about is pretty fugly. Maybe it has more pop when it's fresh and not so tired looking.

15. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Yes the cosmic galaxy blue is sharp. We have a member who has a very nice one. I do not remember who it is but he lives in Australia & he is a motorcycle mail man.

16. markus56

That would be Mick.

17. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: It's Stormy. He hasn't been on the Forum since 2012. 270.jpg 275.jpg

18. markus56

Yeah, that's who it was....

19. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Who's bike is this. bikepics-325636-full.jpg bikepics-325662-full.jpg

20. markus56

Who's ever it is.......it's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!