1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

BATTERY TERMINAL NUTS

MikeC Jul 7, 2018

1. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Who the f designed them? Is Is just to frustrate me? Ok. Thanks for letting me vent.

2. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

Yup...ground my teeth over them many-a-time.

3. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

If you're referring to the nuts that attach to the actual battery, I got a trick for you. Cut a small rubbery piece of fuel line or similar and cram it in behind them. It holds them nicely in place.

4. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

I like it. I will do it TODAY.

5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

I always use a Phillips screwdriver on them and the threads usually find the hole with a bit of pressure. Once in a blue moon I use a flat blade between the battery case and nut to get it centered.

6. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

THAT'S what I mean, its like the screw is too short, or the nut too skinny and also, too small to center naturally. I like the hose tip for keeping the nut in there too. ALWAYS losing it.

7. ZLrider

Have you guys considered longer bolts? Sounds like what I got is a bit longer. I never have any trouble starting them. The rubber tubing just keeps nuts positioned correctly and prevents dropping. Actually what I'm talking about is pretty much the same stuff your battery vent attaches too, not fuel line. If you wanted you could prob steal a couple 1/4" pieces off that overflow tube for this purpose. Turn it sideways and let the bolt bottom out into side of it, the bolt does not go through the middle......if that makes any sense, though I suppose it would work either way.

8. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

Put a folded up piece of paper under the nut to hold it up until the bolt catches the threads.

9. ZLrider

I suppose you could put anything handy under the nut, but something rubbery kinda grabs it and I just leave the rubber pieces in place. When I replace the battery I take out those little stubs and put them in the new battery.