1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Black engine paint samples

Jarney May 1, 2010

1. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Thought I would start a new thread for this since it's a fairly common question. This way others can post up pics of their findings as well.

Ok, so here are my black engine paint samples and results that I found. Your results/opinions may vary - hahaha.

#1 VHT Case Paint - supposed to be for motorcycle cases, 550 degree, oil & gas resistant
    #2 VHT Engine Enamel - GM Satin Black, 550 degree, oil & gas resistant
    #3 VHT Flame Proof header paint - Flat Black, 1300-2000 degree, oil & gas resistant
    #4 VHT Primer - Black
    #5 Krylon BBQ & Stove paint - BBQ Black, 1200 degree
    #6 Rustoleum - Semi-Gloss Black enamel
    #7 Krylon Interior/Exterior - Semi Flat Black

Rating from closest match to worst:

Use 5 or 7 if you want an original look. They are very close to the original paint as far as I can tell. 5 is a hair better (shinier) match than 7.

Use 2 or 6 if you want something a little more glossy, deeper black and shiny. These are a hair shinier than the parts that I had powder coated in satin black - which I think is a very close match to original engine paint. 2 is a better match than 6.

Use 1 and 4 for more of a flat or matte look. 1 is a little shinier than 4 and is border line on being close enough to be included with 5 and 7.

3 just doesn't look right at all for some reason. Almost a brownish tint in the color - very flat and dull also.

I based my rating on the assumption that most motors (including mine) are probably a hair faded from the heat and sun. Pics below. Best I could do with my limited photography skills. Later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2010
    87kawzl likes this.
  2. gosupes

gosupes Senior Member Supporting Member

Thanks for stepping up on this Jarney. It's been asked too many times and it's nice to see results. One thing I will add is that to even out a mismatch of colors, you can spray a light coat of high heat satin clear. It's helps to hide differences in paint.

3. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Thanks, Jared. So, I guess you'll be having a surplus paint sale soon? :laughing7:

4. Jim L

Jim L Supporting Member

Are you running an independent test facility???:laughing7: I like #1 the best... If you use #5 can you cook on the engine as well?

5. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Hahaha, that's what I was thinking - hot pockets will fit on the valve cover or under the carbs and should be done by the time I reach mid-ohio - hahaha. Later.

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this comparison Jared.....it's a good guide for the members.

7. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Now which ones are Gasoline resistant?

I wanted to try one that gremlin recommended, can't remember the name...began with a "P"

8. Jarney

Plasti-Kote - I couldn't find any of it to try. Not sure which ones are gas resistant - I'll check the cans later and add that to my post. Later.

9. Jarney

Top post updated per ZLMark - #1, 2 and 3 - the VHT paint products (not the VHT primer) are all gas and oil resistant. None of the other cans said anything about being heat, gas or oil resistant. Later.

10. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

where did you get #1 Vht from?

11. Jarney

Most local auto shops carry VHT paint - AutoZone, Advanced Auto, O'Rielly, etc. But my local shops didn't have a very good selection as far as the color and types I was looking for so I ordered online from JEGS to make sure I got the colors and various types of paint I wanted to try. Later.

12. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

I have each in my hometown. I'll check them out.

Thanks!

13. Prostreet

Prostreet Well-Known Member

Only issue some may have is that the flash from the camera may throw some viewers (like me ) off a bit. I have to see which paint I used. It seemed dead on with the match. Good idea though with the samples!

14. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

This is the vht satin(#2)on mine.It is on the engine valve cover.I think its a pretty good match.

Attached Files:

15. Jarney

Yeah, that's the problem with pics. I had the flash turned off but there was glare from the lights. So I figured I would just give sort of a rating based on looking at things "in person". At least it's a start or an idea on what is close and what is definitely way off. Later.

16. Prostreet

Prostreet Well-Known Member

I always noticed that natural daylight is the best for pics , Jared. It "eliminates" ;) the single light source that causes glare.

17. harm

harm Well-Known Member

Thanks for study Jarney!

I used this on my KZ a few years ago and its holding up pretty well and should probably match good too.

Attached Files:

18. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

I used a PJ1 product several years ago and it was a very good match - seems like it was "satin case paint", but not sure.

19. wickedzl900

wickedzl900 Senior Member Supporting Member

i use vht caliper paint on engines ,, nice gloss and last around 3 years

20. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Thanks for the review.
    I usually dress my stock engine paint with a bit of wd-40 on a paper towel for some shine.