1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all 1986 ZL 600 experts.

The Original Sin May 5, 2020

1. The Original Sin

The Original Sin Active Member

I’m having a hellacious time reinstalling my carbs! I can’t get the air box boots back on. My vacuum lines are all jacked up. I need a hero!!!

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

3. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Before I had pods on my 600 I remember using ratchet straps. It was still very tight but did work.

4. The Original Sin

Thanks guys. I’ve used the strap many times on my ZL1000 with great results but it just doesn’t work the same on this 600. I will continue to fight. When I do get them back on I’ll shoot a “ how to” video....How to survive a mental breakdown.

Infantrygnr and R. J. like this.
  5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I'm about to go through the pain, agony and defeat :laughing7: of installing a new air box in my ZL 10. I'm dreading every minute of it. :laughing7:. I'm getting to old to do this crap :laughing7: but someone has to do it.

6. The Original Sin

Thanks R.J. Don’t worry, If you can’t do it on that bike nobody.

R. J. likes this.
  7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It's just that the older I get the more it takes to get me motivated. :laughing7:.

Infantrygnr likes this.
  8. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Senior Member

STEP1 PITCH THE AIR BOX IN THE TRASH....
    STEP2 INSTALL AIR PODS....
    STEP 3 SET BACK DRINK SUM BEERS...

Lol good luck!!!! I hate them damn air boxes....I have used dielectric grease on inside of boots to help slide carbs in, and extra set hands help, I used some old butter knifes to help boot on around carb …...

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I use cotter pin removers to install the air box boots onto the carbs. The long one in the pic I welded a 4 inch shaft onto it from an old screwdriver. The tips are rounded so you won't poke any holes in the boots. These ones are made by CRAFTSMAN. The long one is for doing the 2 inside boots. IMG_9017.JPG

10. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Look through old threads, this is not an impossible job, but get new boots if yours are hard, pitching the Air-Box means re-tuning and that's more difficult than what people think, on mid-sized 400/600 Kawasaki Fours, the entire system from the Intake snorkel to the inlet tract is tuned .to give better mid-range power!

Cheers

John

11. The Original Sin

I’m in the process of getting new boots and a new air box. Thank you.

12. Trojan441

I have tried this jobs always , even with new boots putting them in hot almost boiling soapy water keep them inside so the water doesn't cool if the bikes outside, take them out;
    One method is to fit the two inner boots to the box, carefully riddle it in get the lower "L" shaped crankcase breather on carefully use a long flat-bladed screw-driver and then secure the two inner boots to the carburettors! You will notice the boots orientate themselves slightly differently by turning them 180 degrees, the two-left cylinders need the boots with the widest lip section to the left and the two right hand cylinders need the widest lip to the left. Once I have got the two central one one and fitting well, I secure them with Jubilee clips of good British manufacture, that is proper sprung steel, don't use cheap badly made Chinese one if you fix then on in this way! The two outer boots Right & Left outer cylinders are then easy-peasy.

The other way is to get the Air-box in fit the boots one at a time having soaked them in hot water , secure the breather and two centrals one as above, then proceed with the outer two.
    Air-box threads will help see my thread January Airbox to carb Rubbers! Fitting carb's to Air-box. I put a little washing up liquid in the water and spray the boots with silicon to make them slip into place!

Best of Luck

John

Infantrygnr likes this.
  13. Trojan441

Sorry, two right cylinder widest lip to the right, typo error!

14. mrkim45

mrkim45 Active Member

I have removed my carbs twice! We had to make sure the boots were good and pliable so they would bend, then squeeze them around
    the carb intake. It's a tricky job but it can be done.

15. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

Something I haven't tried yet is to do it the way it was probably done on the assembly line. Remove the engine mount bolts except for lower rear ones (might have to loosen some exhaust bolts) and tilt the engine forward. It would make the most sense if that's the way it was done during production but without the exhaust or engine mounts installed at the time. The driveshaft should give just enough to allow the engine to tilt forward sufficiently wthout removing the last engine mount.

R. J. likes this.
  16. The Original Sin

That was well written John! Thank you for taking the time and thought to share your knowledge. I may have stumbled onto a very easy, inexpensive and a lot less time consuming way to reinstall these carbs. If my experiments pan out I just might name the process after myself (lol) I’ll be back with full details and pictures.

R. J. likes this.
  17. The Original Sin

Thanks Ed! I would rather shoot myself in the face than start messing with engine mounts. If what you are saying is true than its Makes total sense why this process is so difficult. I think I might have found an easy inexpensive was to to reinstall the air box and boots to carbs. Stay tuned!