1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam chain tensioner

forneyguy May 3, 2019

1. forneyguy

forneyguy Member

Cam chain tensioner? When do you know when it's time to replace it? On my 1985 ZL900 of course. When it sounds noisy?

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You can reset it per the manual. The upgrade includes replacing it, the guide, the chain and top guide with the parts for a 2006 Connie.

3. forneyguy

forneyguy Member

Thanks, is a 2006 Connie a Concours? Does the Concours have the same motor?

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yes and yes

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

6. Ed

Ed Active Member

I understand you'll only have a problem with automatic adjusters if the RPMs drop too abruptly from high revs. The fast spinning camshaft pulls on the tensioner side which forces the tensioner to back off, stripping teeth off the wedges. After that happens, it can jump timing.

R. J. likes this.
  7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I have a manual cam chain tensioner on my ZL 10 which was installed by the PO. I had to adjust it at 10 K miles then again at 20 K miles Both times I only had to go one full turn. Some guys go to tight. You only go enough until the chattering goes away. Adjustments should be done at idle. When the chain is to tight you should here a whining noise.