1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Carb. Installation help needed

RedRocket Jan 8, 2009

1. RedRocket

RedRocket Active Member

So I had Rick clean my carbs and they came out great but now I am trying to install them back on and I do not remember where all the hoses went. I know that someone has done some tinkering with the bike before so I am not even sure that they were correct to begin with. What I am looking for is a diagram of some sort that shows the routing of all hoses. I did notice in another post that had pictures of the carbs that they looked as if they had rubber caps on the 4 lines that come out of each carb towards the top. Mine did not have any plug caps on those. So am I missing the plugs?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Which bike do you have? Pods? Airbox? Emissions? At the very least, all vacuum ports must be plugged or going to something,I.E.- petcock,emissions etc.

3. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

There is a tee between the #1-#2 CARBS AND THE #3-#4 CARBS, those are bowl vents. I use short peices of clear tubing and run them up under the seat and attach them to the frame rail clips if they are still there. If you stil have air suction valve the 1-4 vacuum ports go into a tee then to the suction valve. The #2 vacuum port goes to the petcock vacuum and the #3 vacuum gets a plug.

4. RedRocket

RedRocket Active Member

prfixer, it is a stock '85 zl900 running 108 jets (pretty close to stock) with the stock airbox.

Mark, thank you very much for the info. Like I said, I really don't think that it was hooked up correctly before I removed the carbs. I think that someone had the 2 bowl vents going to the suction valve "T" and then I do not have a plug on the #3 vaccum line. (this carb did leak fuel the last time it ran) The problem for the previous owner was that he had no clue about some of the technical stuff on this bike, such as the vaccume operated fuel petcock and the tank venting, which leads me to believe that instead of fixing THOSE issues, he thought that the bike had other problems so he tinkered around with everything else to try to make it run correctly, which may have included moving a couple of hoses around.::nono: Now I get to solve the puzzle.....:help: which is fine by me because I would rather do it myself with the help of zl-oa and become more knowledgable about my bike.

I also have a hose just under where the #1 carb would be that has an inline plastic thinggy that looks like a fuel filter and the hose from that goes on the side of where the footpeg is and then to nowhere underneat the bike. Any clue what that is for?

5. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

108 jets are not stock size
    zl9 has 125 main fuel jets from factory

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

The THINGY you mentioned is the overflow tube for the airbox. The 'filter' thing is a collection place for the owner to see that something is in there and time to empty it and investigate why it's there!!! Should have a plug on the end of that line. Mark

7. RedRocket

RedRocket Active Member

I see. no plug in it now but there will be...

8. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Lots of guys leave 'em out so nothing could get trapped.....like gasolene!! I have plugs in mine. Mark

9. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

maybe this can help, as far as where lines go. in first pic. the yellowish color hoses are vents, the big black hose is fuel line & in second pic.( things are reversed in pic. carb #1 is on the right in pic.) you can see the vent hoses from 1&4 come together at tee. carb #2 vent hose for fuel petcock, & carb #3 capped off ! these are on my newest zl900 ! CHRIS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  10. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Right paul, but he has a dynojet stage1 installed...108 is correct