1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Carb swap mod

Bacchus Dec 9, 2008

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Senior Member Supporting Member

ok guys what about swaping carbs?

lets say you took a set of zl9 carbs installed some big mains, lets say 145's and installed the set on a zl1000 what would you predict as the result on performance?????

and on the other side of the coin, if you took a set of zl1k carbs installed some 125-130-135 mains and mounted the set on a zl9 what would be the result?

for the purposes of this discussion consider jet size to be a guestimate and assume proper mains for the bike have been selected.

assuming you had a big bore kit in a zl9 ...which carb set would produce max power?

these two bikes have what appears to be a nearly identical drive train with two very different carbs getting their benifits from two different approaches. zl9 goes for higer velocity of air, zl1k goes for lower velocity larger volume

just wonder what your thoughts on this are, and also if anyone has ever tried it!

2. Prostreet

Prostreet Well-Known Member

Regarding putting the zl1000 carbs on the 900, I would think that the fact that the 1000 uses 34mm carbs (larger venturi bore) that your smaller jetting would cause a lean condition not to mention a drop in performance if placed into a ZL900. Not a great idea. Now if the carbs would fit "as-is" you would have a peakier power increase and lose a lot of the bottom end & midrange grunt that the Eliminator is known for. Basically you would have something closer to a Ninja 900 (which uses 36mm carbs) I do believe that thats why Kawasaki went with the smaller carbs to begin with. As far as your first experiment, the ZL1000 would lose its power throughout the powerband but would most likely have a wicked "off throttle surge. Bigger engines require bigger air & fuel.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  3. Bacchus

please assume proper main jet installed.

the need for big air flow volume is primarily to acomodate the top end air needs of the motor, am I right? most off track riding is not done at the 10k rpm range. therefore my thinking is that this flow restriction would only come into play in the upper rpms, but the lower rpms 1k to 8k for example may benifit from the increased velocity of the air created by the smaller venturi.

4. Prostreet

Prostreet Well-Known Member

You do have a point, in that the zrx 1100 uses the keihin 36 mm carbs and it has a very strong, flat power curve. Whereas my zzr1200 uses 40mm's slightly larger cams than the ZRX, but still maintains a fantastic midrange ( more so than my Busa) and an unbelievable top end rush. I would be intereted in seeing a 900 carb swap with a slightly larger jet change onto a zl1000. I still think there is a lot of fun between 8-10K rpm's. I like the best of both worlds, personally.

5. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

You building one for the Stoplight GP?

The zg1000 uses CVK 32's... with a main jet size of 125(same as zl900)..which surprised me.

6. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

many people think that when using a smaller carb that the jetting would need to be increased, but it is dependent upon velocity inside the carb so in most instances it actually needs decreassed.
    running bigger carbs on a smaller engine most would think to install smaller jets, but in this case a bigger jet would actually be more common as the velocity will be less

7. zot

zot Senior Member Supporting Member

Exhaust is the other big factor...has anyone put the two full systems side by side? Wonder if the 900 chamber is smaller/larger or the same as the 1000's? Stock set up on a 1000 with open headers has NO low end but is really strong from 5k to 9k then stock jets run out of gas (seat of the pants gauge). Restriction vs. flow? Where you want the powerband to be will count alot as well. I have actually put stock ZX9 carbs on the 1000. It felt "boggy" lacking power until like 9k rpm and above. Yup, bet you get killer off throttle...but it would run out of steam in the high rpms unless you get the jets right....need to flow bench both carbs.

8. MID.KNIGHT

MID.KNIGHT Active Member

im runnin 37mm flatslides cr keihin on mine and its a stop light gp bike wicked fast:headbang:

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  9. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Mid-night
    your bike belonged to a drag racer at one time didnt it?
    I would bet he did some internal work as well you should take it to the drag strip and see what it will do!

10. Elim8u

Elim8u Well-Known Member

yea, I remember it being for sale .
    Beautiful bike man, really

11. Bacchus

that is a nice one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the custom seat more pictures please