1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Carburettor Airbox Rubbers/Boots

Trojan441 Sep 26, 2019

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Hi, spent 3 hours trying to put them back on , used hairdryer, boiling water, just about to put third one on and number two pops off, gave up rather than set fire to the bike! Now waiting the arrival of Wintergreen oil to boil them with water n' try again when my patience is restored! ZL's never look right with just pods IMHO!

2. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Yes, it's a PITA job; I use silicone spray and not too hard boots...better buy a set of new ones before getting bloody fingers...(and get thoughts in my mind I'd regret later).

3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

IMG_20190812_065839.jpg
    ^ not quite sure what you mean by they never look right with pods.:D

Harriminator likes this.
  4. shigeru

shigeru Active Member

[​IMG]
    Hi, my first post from Japan, sorry for my poor English.
    Have you tried this? Turning the rubbers...

5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Nice tip! If the rubber is not hard as a rock.

6. shigeru

shigeru Active Member

Yes, I used new ones when I OHed my carbs.

7. Trojan441

Thank you, but my rubbers are too stiff for that turning operation n' I think the problem is new ones are difficult to source the ZL600, ZL500, ZL400 use 30mm carburettors and the more plentiful GPZ GPX 600 uses 32 mm carb's, not sure about the GPZ GPX 400 variants! But on the internet the answers seems to be Xylene & Wintergreen oil cold treatment or Boiling water n' Wintergreen oil mix. Okay found a shot, no "chrome cover, pods put in place of original air-box n' covers, gap looks awful! Probably runs like ****.

8. Trojan441

Screenshot at 2019-09-26 15:57:40.png

9. Eastwood

Eastwood Supporting Member

On my 900 the boots have a line that runs front to back, each needs to be positioned at the top or side can’t remember which. You should be able to look at and position them. Focus on inner boot connections first. Rock the carbs up and down as you push forward. Going to be a pain with hard rubber. Good luck.

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: A Mate from down under posted a while back to use this Red Rubber Grease 500 grams to soften up carb and intake boots for bikes. He said to coat each carb boot then place them in a zip lock bag for 3 to 5 days. It's made by GRANVILLE in the UK. $30 shipped from the UK. I have not used it as of yet. In a few weeks or so I'll test it on my HONDA 650 intake boots. __________________________________________________ IMG_8126.JPG IMG_8127.JPG IMG_8128.JPG IMG_8129.JPG

11. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

Even if you get them on, hard rubber is shrunk down and often won't stay on no matter how hard you try. Hot air rises and I've noticed the right side rubbers tend to bake longer thru convection while sitting on the kickstand and also exposed to more UV light.

12. Harriminator

Trojan441 likes this.
  13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: From what I was told silicone made products do not shrink and don't get hard. Them NINJA hoses look really close to the big ZL coolant hoses.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  14. shigeru

shigeru Active Member

I am sure that the duct #14073-1211 is still available. I have recently bought ones to use for my ZL400.

15. Harriminator

Aaaaahhhhhh, a new source for parts for the poor ZL400-riders whose bike was never sold out of Japan officially...:laughing7:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  16. Trojan441

Thanks guys, the rubbers on Kawasaki's stiffen but I been told Honda ones go rock hard! I have red rubber grease n' find it lubricates my hands more than the rubbers! The Wintergreen oil n' boiling in water has worked to a large extent, but the rubber goes sticky n' after you have to peel a rubbery swarf off them, I should have had a mesh grill on the pan bottom to protect them through the sticky phase! Weather has been to bad to put them on as I have to work outside!
    Thanks for your input. There are also little semi-circular notches in the rubbers n' pegs on the air-box that should match up, if the space had been an inch bigger it wouldn't be so a big fiddly exasperating experience! I think someone made a boo-boo with the frame size n' shoehorning a four-cylinder engine into it!

17. Trojan441

ZL400s are all over the World, especially in Russia! Have tried red rubber grease, sticky on the fingers, problem is patience, 5 days! Wintergreen oil n' boiling has worked to some extent but when the rubbers go sticky they are then covered in a rubbery swarf U have to peel off! Once treated spray with silicone to further protect them! U need a wire grid at the pan bottom too, I neglected to do this as the rubber tries to stick to the pan bottom! Funnily enough the carb' to engine ones are just fine! The main problem is them being of a smaller size 30mm!

20190928_160539.jpg 20190928_160603.jpg

18. Trojan441

I am in the UK every source is coming up in the good old USA! N' y'all mislead us Limey's by saying "Free Shipping", get a grip you "ole boys", we use the term "shipping" for abroad, not within our own National borders! How long is it going to take U Colonials, to get a decent grip on English :rolleyes:? Joking apart, new Kawasaki parts are pretty scarce here. Trump's mother is Scottish I hear he is planning to re-invade, as a "Modern Bonnie Prince Charlie" He is carrying a Scot's name too!

19. Trojan441

ZR550-B2 (1991)/ZR550-B3 (1992)/ZR550-B4 (1993)/ZR550-B5 (1994)/ZR550-B6 (1995) all use the same Air-box ducts! Why don't Kawasaki list what bikes use them to make them easier to source?

20. Trojan441

Hi, Shigeru, glad to hear from you especially since the bikes were made in the main or designed in Japan. I wrote to Kawasaki about parts and history of there bikes n' they were apologetic but quite unhelpful. I also tried to trace Owners Clubs in Japan re spares n' parts, as the ZL400 is problematic @ times being a "Home" market machine! ( n' = and), I also have a Z650 which I know has quite a following in Japan as it was the original outlaw bikers favourite machine, especially the raunchier earlier model B1, there is some footage of a Z650 Owne'rs Club outing in Japan on the (massacred by Google), YouTube site! Have you seen the film "Black Rain"?