1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Chainsaw issues

87kawzl May 18, 2020

1. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I got handed a non running Stihl 041 av. I tinkered a while, changed gas, inspected plug, took fuel filter out and everything looks normal. Pull for 10-20 times, no dice. Dribble some gas into carb and she starts for a few seconds. Ok it's worth putting some money into now.

I look for parts and can get a complete carb for less than a rebuild kit and a complete tune up with carb, fuel & air filters, pick up hoses and a generic plug for under $30.

Price out tune up with carb kit and it's $50. crazy. It's like I have to buy the kit with carb and a carb rebuild cheaper than piece by piece. I am going to stick with the original carb.

Anyhow the thing is built like a tank, unlike the 3yo Stihl ms180c with ez start. That thing likes to eat the plastic pawls on the recoil starter. And no, I'm not hard on the starter... should have bought a husky.

Rant over.

Wads_ZL1 likes this.
  2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: An OEM carb is only $32. I'm on my second STIHL in 30 years. The first one I had for 20 years with no issues other than spark plugs and air filters. The second I've replaced the carb twice. Starting procedure is as follows. Choke to on, pull twice, choke to off. pull four time and it starts. If you pull the trigger it will flood and never start.

Wads_ZL1 likes this.
  3. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist/ Supporting member Technical Author Supporting Member

Own 2 or 3 stihls I'd put the money to her

4. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I rebuilt the carb, all diaphragms and gaskets were in good shape. New fuel filter, fuel pickup hose, air filter and plug. There was a port with a screen that was all plugged up. High speed screw was wound out pretty far. Fuel flows. No start...I had better things to do so I moved on to them. I'll revisit it later this week.

5. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist/ Supporting member Technical Author Supporting Member

I think one of my stihls is a 41av?