1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Chin Fairing

Not a V-Max Apr 12, 2019

1. Not a V-Max

Not a V-Max New Member

I'm a chin fairing guy. Love the look. I see a few ZL900 bike pics now and then with chin fairings on them. They are not Targa fairings. They almost look like they might of been from another bike and cut down and trimmed to fit right under the radiator. Anyone know what they are using?

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

3. Not a V-Max

Not a V-Max New Member

Totally not a CHIN fairing.

4. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

All the vintage ones were Targa but with a bit of ingenuity I'm sure you could mount up one of the universal on the market.

Please keep us informed if you give it a go. I really like the look with the little bullet fairing too, especially on the 9.

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I don't know what a CHIN Fairing looks like. Do you have a pic of one.

6. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

R. J. likes this.
  7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: That ZL 9 is bitchen. Is it someone you know.

8. Harriminator

:hello:Nope, just 'by the ad'; wouldn't like to be seen w/ something like that. :nono:

Just my 2ct: this fairing (belly pan, front spoiler, whatever...) avoids fresh air to get to the oil pan and the pipes get very hot too; yes, the ZL-rad is bigger than on GPZ and no oil cooler but the fan runs dead to cool down the engine - sorry, not my style when I wanna ride a naked bike but each his own. To have a fairing I ride my 900R. :laughing7:

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I here ya on no air getting to the lower part of the motor. Maybe those side fins direct air into the motor. It wouldn't take much to cut out a section on the front of the spoiler to let more air in.

10. Harriminator

:hello:Look more close, R. J. - these side fins are stickers...:eek::laughing7:.
    That's what I call a Fakeiminator.:roflmao:

R. J. likes this.
  11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: That's just dumb. :laughing7:.

12. Not a V-Max

Not a V-Max New Member

Chin spoiler at the bottom of the radiator. They look to me like they were modified from something else but I can’t figure out what. Any ideas?

895BF3BF-99AE-41DD-8524-ACDAA61BDB40.jpeg AB8F6F7A-B79B-4A51-925C-156AB88B26E9.jpeg

13. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

Those were actually a Kaw accessory back in the day for the 900.

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My friend Chris modified a aftermarket chin spoiler from E-bay for his ZL 10. IMG_0808.JPG

15. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

I think I might have one of the targa chin spoilers in the garage someplace. If memory serves it has a repairable crack in it but is an easy fix.
    Do a search on here I think we have had a lot of pics posted of them over the years.

16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I remember our Member MACH IV from Ocala FL was going to have some made.

17. Not a V-Max

Not a V-Max New Member

RJ, Do you remember/know what the donor spoiler was?

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: No but I can call Chris to get the information.

19. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

He had an original and was going to have it cloned.

20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I did have MACH IV phone # but know more. I know he's moved his shop. I always mean to stop in when I'm in Ocala but don't remember were is shop is.