1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Clutch Slip

Trojan441 Apr 13, 2019

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Just stripped off the casing and started to look at the clutch. I have a replacement set of genuine Kawasaki cork plates, but part number 39130 Spring fingered washer was badly broken 2 hooks & 2 fingers broken off. I have this part, (Luckily0, but now need to remove the big clutch nut, 92015, & do not have a "Clutch locking tool" 57001-305, keeps the limited -slip Clutch sub - assembly from turning!

Just interested in how anyone has say improvised to lock the sub-assembly up without the special tool & of course managed it plus taking care not to damage any parts?

Cheers

John H Screenshot at 2019-04-13 13:32:23.png

2. Trojan441

Clutch nut 92015 is 36mm, if anyone else tackles stripping a clutch!

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  4. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

I replaced my spring finger washer last year and to keep the clutch from turning I placed it in first gear and used a large wrench wrapped in a towel and stuck it between the rear wheel and the swing arm. Just go easy to loosen and tighten the lock nut.

5. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

The fix is to double up on the finger washer and use a special upgraded nut to go back.

Ed likes this.
  6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

7. Ed

Ed Active Member

Sometimes I feel a little detent in the lever when it's almost fully released on my '86 600. It also uses a fingered spring like the bigger Eliminators and the later '96 600 diagram shows two being used. I should probably order the parts before mine breaks if it hasn't already. Is this problem not as common on the 600 or has this same upgrade for it already been discussed somewhere else?

R. J. likes this.
  8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Ed likes this.
  9. Ed

Ed Active Member

I pulled the ZL out of storage and figgerd I'd ride it a bit before I get my parts in. I've been keeping almost an inch of play in the lever to help keep that notchy feel out. Shifting didn't feel good so I turned the adjustment screw 2 turns out. That notchy feel turned into a click. Pretty sure fingers are broke off and trying to get between the plates. Put the play back in it and babied it back to the shop.

R. J. likes this.
  10. Ed

Ed Active Member

Nothing broken inside. I need to check the cable. Does anyone have a cotter pin in the little hole that keeps the lower cable end from popping out? I can't imagine one would be needed but that's what the lever feels like.

R. J. likes this.
  11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Do you have slopp in the lower clutch arm at the cable base at the cables ferrule. Is your clutch still slipping. Does it chatter when letting out the clutch.

12. Ed

Ed Active Member

It never slipped. It has little click when lever is let almost all the way out as if the cable inner or outer is catching. I need to inspect the cable for damage but if nothing is obvious, I'll put a cotter pin in the hole to eliminate any problem there. I haven't ridden it since the upgrade and there was some metal shavings around the lifter.

R. J. likes this.
  13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: So you done the 2 leaf springs upgrade. The cable may be fraid on the inside & catching on the inner wall of the sheathing. You might want to go a head & replace the clutch cabe.

14. Ed

Ed Active Member

The pivoting end of the arm seemed a bit dry and stiff so with that now lubed, any problems at the lower end should be gone. Just need to go for a test ride before looking to the upper end.

R. J. likes this.
  15. Ed

Ed Active Member

The cable feels very smooth but I know that after a while the cable inner can wear into the metal elbow so that'll be the next thing to check. I haven't seen a frayed cable that wasn't caused by someone using pliers to grab it.

R. J. likes this.
  16. Trojan441

Cheers guys, fixed it but only had one of 39130 available, but will strip down again as having an "op" & therefore would be able to drive for a few weeks. I did wonder why some diagrams showed 2 x 39130 star fingered spring washer, the big European supplier lists this as a part no longer available. Even though I fitted new Kawasaki branded clutch plates cable adjustment is still necessary over n@ above what I would have expected. Fitted stronger springs but may replace with serviceable ones I took out!

Cheers

john H

17. Ed

Ed Active Member

No fingers were broke in mine but did the upgrade anyway. The click in the clutch feel must have been the lower arm end sticking.