1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Coil Replacement

Trojan441 Jan 12, 2020

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

I seem to have an intermittent spark @ the plugs they won't spark easily, especially not to the aluminium Cam box but spark to the ferrous metal Cam-box bolts n' wondered if so what people have used to replace ignition coils if a replacement is necessary, genuine Kawasaki @ £38 or 1/2 price "High quality" not made in China, replacements off Ebay for just under £19?

I will test the coils 2morrow to see if thy are indeed the problem. I wondered if my fuse box short damaged the coils?

Any thoughts appreciated!

2. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

When my 600 had intermittent spark, I checked for the normal problems associated with old bikes and everything was good. Ended up unplugging the CDI and loosened the bend in the wires so the connector housing and pins sat more relaxed. Cleaning the connector alone wasn't enough. I couldn't believe that was causing it since the pins were always fully seated. Moisture will eventually get in there and tarnish between unsealed joints.

3. Trojan441

This is what I find confusing on the small Fours two wiring diagrams, giving different schematics, first ZL 400 A second ZL 600 A, now I can't find the second diagram. When I got the ZL400, I was pretty sure the first coil prong on the first Left coil went to Cylinder 1 & not 4. This probably doesn't matter as long as the Primary wires in colour correspond to the Plug that is meant to be fired! At the moment the weakest sparks I am getting are on cylinder 1 n' with a firing order of 1, 2, 4, 3, this is perhaps not good! Screenshot at 2020-01-12 22:05:09.png View attachment 41879

4. Trojan441

Thanks Ed, I will straighten out n' clean the igniter 2morrow! I also watched the guy on YouTube that splices the wiring to the igniter, the yellow/black Earth/Ground wire and makes a direct Earth to the battery, he thinks this sparkles up the igniter and makes the electrical circuit sharper n' more efficient!

5. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

6. Trojan441

Thanks I will look this up presently! When I first joined someone kindly posted these diagrams up from probably the K 12483032503_79d13c1a90_b.jpg 12483031433_556f6ed912_b.jpg awasaki manual!

7. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

The plug wire ends get corroded where they screw into the plug boot and also where they screw into the coils. Cut 1/4" off the ends and clean up the little screws. if you have the resistor type plug boots, they come apart and you can clean up the contact areas. I always use some dielectric to keep everything good.

Trojan441 likes this.
  8. Trojan441

Thanks was going to strip it all down 2day n' then this afternoon the weather turned bad!

9. Trojan441

I bought some second hand 1989 GPX/ZX/ZXR 750 coils as spares, according to primary and secondary characteristics, they are identical in resistance & range to the ZL/ZX600 units.