1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooling fan going on???

BearHunter Mar 25, 2018

1. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

I had put a new battery in my 900 a few weeks ago. Everything seemed fine until yesterday. I went in the garage and find that my battery was totally flat. Not even 2 volts left in it. I put back the old battery that had some juice left in it and find that the cooling fan started and never stopped, draining the battery.

Question is: What is my chances to save this battery, I put it on charge last night (1A/hour), and she won't go over 3.11 volts. Now I tried a little shock treatment at 2A/hour. To see if it would gain life.

Second question is: Why this fan will go on alone when it's 2-3 celcius outside?

I think I just put over 130$ in Junk without even taking a ride :(

2. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

I guess the radiator switch (97°C) is going mad which is responsible for the fan run-on when ign. is OFF. Unplug the cable (you have to go down on earth to see it under the bike) and put it on ground somewhere like muffler, frame etc. When fan starts running you found the prob., can be replaced with a GPZ900R-one which only has another connection (easy job to change plug on cable, orig. ZL900-switch is hard to find).

A deeply charged battery to be re-animated can be successful or totally fail, depends on charger and condition of cells; the newer chargers are programmed how to load to get back full power.

3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

I've always went 10 amp when bringing it back from dead. Like he said tho sometimes they don't come back. Warranty it if it don't.
    Relay, wiring then switch should be tested. I'd do it in that order.

4. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I would venture to say that your fan switch is good and the problem is the low voltage with the battery causing a relay to stick. I'm sure if you have a fully charged battery installed that your fan issues will be resolved. You may have to tap the relay with something but I doubt it.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I have good oem sensors if it turns out that you need one.

R. J. likes this.
  7. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Here's a little update. The problem is the switch. I just removed it and tested it with a multimeter. It stay "ON" and let pass full power. Another switch from a part bike I have seems ok. I'll put this one into the radiator. Thank you all for your input!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  8. Harriminator

:thumbsup: :laughing7:

9. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

What's weird is that the switch goes off at room temperature and when I put it in the frreezer, (like in the garage, temps here is around 0 celcius) the switch goes on...

10. Harriminator

My explanation: there's some humidity inside the switch where air should be; the ice gives contact, the water/moisture has too much resistance to let electricity flow...

R. J. likes this.
  11. Harriminator

Longer time ago someone had the same prob. and asked here if any member can come over to fix it for him - R. J. may remember...and told him something with 'screw...' :laughing7:

12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: No I don't recall.