1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooling System Cuz I'm Cool

JohnH#II Mar 11, 2019

1. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Yes it has many times over. :notworthy:.

2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

What do you mean, "went dead"? Did you replace the O rings in the front and rear coolant pipes while you're in there?

3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

The bike came with safety switches and I'll bet that is where your problem lies. Make sure it is in neutral, kickstand switch is plugged in and sometimes the clutch switch can act up so try pulling the clutch lever when hitting the starter button.

The factory grease in the ignition switch (key) is junk at this age and I recommend disassembly, clean and relube the rotating parts with a thin layer of dielectric grease. Careful, the plastic cap on bottom of switch is very fragile.

Try jiggling the key when hitting the starter button to make sure the ignition switch is making good contact.

4. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

When I found the problem, I started checking things and darkness came so I stopped. The thing is I have no power past the round solenoid (I think I'm calling it the correct thing) from battery. Also I have 12v on the main blade fuse in the fuse box. No other fuse has power even after key turns. Headlight doesn't even come on. Nothing when The key turns. The bike came without a kickstand switch yet it ran when I got it, just like crap. I have had trouble with that switch on every zl I have owned. It's gonna be a few days before I can get back to checking things. I will check the key switch and clutch switch then. Thanks for the direction.

5. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

Went dead as in battery is new with 12v+ and nothing will come on. And yep, I did replace the o ring. I was just going to wake the beast up and .... boom! Nothing.

6. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Headlamp won't come on till a crank on the ignition.

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: That is the way it is designed.

8. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

Got it. Bike in nutral. Key turned on. No nutral light and nothing when you push start. Leads me in a direction though. Hopefully just a connection somewhere. Doing a lot to it so I just need to retrace steps.

9. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

The starter circuit is only active if neutral light is on or clutch lever is pulled in if everything is wired/working correctly.

10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: It might be a good idea to open up the fuse box to check for cold solder joints & or corrosion. Also check the relays in the fuse box for a good connection.

11. Ed

Ed Active Member

Did you try pulling in the clutch lever to see if it starts? It should bypass the neutra switch.

12. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I have your housing and sensors boxed up and ready to ship out. I need an address so I'm starting a conversation to get your info. Thanks

R. J. likes this.
  13. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

With all the info from y'all and just a little retracing the beast lives. It was the front brake sensor wires. Maybe a little corrosion? But I unplugged them, cleaned the tabs and ends. Wala!!

Now back to the cooling system. Got some things from Marcus56 coming to make her correct. I have the weekend off and some wrenches. The neighbors will be calling Johnny Law on me by Sunday.

R. J. likes this.
  14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Good guys finish first. :notworthy:.

15. Eastwood

Eastwood Supporting Member

Good guys help keep another ZL alive.

R. J. likes this.