1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Disaster: The screw from Hell

Trojan441 Feb 2, 2020

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Hi, rebuilt bike, put the carb's back in, rubber/neoprene air-box boots, air-box n' whilst undoing the central screw that holds the plastic surround guiding the cables, the Phillips screw flirted out n' dropped into cylinder 3 Spark plug access hole! At first it moved slightly, but then as I tried to retrieve it, it wedged itself against the Spark plug ceramic portion n' refuses to come out ! So I am literally SCREWED n' have no working bike, till I find a method to fish it out!

Gutted like a Fish!
    Remover right-hand coolant hose for access n' then...
    Spayed with Double TT;
    Squirted oil down there;
    Used small screw driver, small pliers, wire coat-hanger e.t.c Not enough space for the magnetic telescopic thingy! In the end gave up for the day.

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Strong magnet attached to a wire hanger or screwdriver or whatever will reach it. The magnet will magnetized tool of your choosing.

Trojan441 likes this.
  3. Trojan441

I will have a go 2morrow, nut access n' space is tight1

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Did you try using one of those spring loaded 3 prong grappy tools.

5. Trojan441

20200203_151753.jpg

No RJ, I didn't have one, Claw-Grabber. but have now ordered one on Ebay for future use! Not sure whether I could have got one in. I fiddled today n' bent an old springy metal coat-hanger into a small almost flatish fish hook shape. I had previously pump some oil down there and some Double TT spray, I then after some minutes managed to riddle it underneath and put all the force I could behind it . I thought at one point i was pulling so hard the bike would lift off the floor! Then it moved and I got some Snipe-nosed pliers had a go at retrieving it and it dropped back a little, Ho-hum, but a second attempt got it out n' I fell to my knees n' thanks the God's! Then I got the plug out wiped refitted it , flushed out the plug channel access started to refit the HT leads n' then it started to stop with rain commenced to heavier n' heavier rain n' i had t o cover the bike over n' retreat inside wet. but a relieved man. So 2morrow I should be back on the road. "Three shouts from the Top of a HIll" indeed! Incidentally the title Three Shouts.... is an Ancient Celtic Tale from Britain and found in Ireland too about the fate of a Celtic warrior and his two sons, when answering a challenge set by the God Lugh! A story which could be a minimum of 3,000 years old!

6. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Attaboy Trojan!

Trojan441 likes this.
  7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: When I work on a bike I cover the valve cover with a towel so no small parts/hardware goes into the spark plug wells.

8. Trojan441

Your a Wise Man RJ, however, I will make sure nothing like this ever happens again, also usually the HT leads are on blocking access, but an important lesson learned!

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Not to wise. :laughing7:. I ones dropped a screw down inside a head on my old Dodge. I spent endless hours getting it out. :pain10:. I like your stories that you through into the mix of a thread.

10. Klodos

Klodos New Member

Try to use pressurized air and blow it out.

Trojan441 likes this.
  11. Trojan441

20200207_142916.jpg

Using old Suppressor caps to block off entrance to foreign objects! You can use an old towel as will I suppose as RJ suggested!