1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Downpipe link pipe

Charlie1985 Jun 23, 2019

1. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and this bike, I bought one yesterday that I started working on today, I got the bike up and running today after 7 years of sitting in a garden. The down pipes 4 into 2 have a connection pipe in the middle that is gone from my bike. This means I have 2 big holes in either side of the exhaust. My plan is to patch the holes both sides. Do people think that this will work or does this link pipe do more then I think it does.

Any suggestions or opinions will be greatly appreciated and I'm putting a link in for people to see the bike on YouTube if people would like to.

Thanks

2. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

If you have the means to patch the holes there is no reason that I can think of that would say not to.

3. Ed

Ed Active Member

The crossover pipe allows each cylinder to exhaust thru both mufflers so patching the holes will add some restriction.

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I find it amazing that it started and ran after sitting for 7 years. Nice vid. :notworthy:. The crossover pipe should of had a connection with a clamp holding the 2 sides of pipes together.

5. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

Thanks everyone, I couldn't believe it just ran too even before I cleaned the carbs. It wasn't smooth but once I cleaned and synced the carbs it ran great.

I'm in 2 minds about the exhaust issue, my plan was to wrap each hole with gum gum tape and potentially exhaust wrap over the top anyway for looks, I'm wondering if I should be trying to fit a link pipe back on now although I'm not sure I could do that. Rust is the reason the original came of I'm thinking.

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: If I was you I'd put the pipes back the way they was because it was designed that way. I'd sand blast the entire part of the exhaust that was not chromed. Even inside the holes. Then take it to a muffler shop and have the cross over pipe welded up and make it so that the 2 sides slide together and clamped on in the middle as it was from the factory. Also I'd sand blast the system again after the repair and ceramic coat the whole system that was not chromed. Just my opinion.

7. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the crossover, seal em up n go!

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Jury rigging. :laughing7:. That is something that is not in my play book. :laughing7:.

9. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

RJ that sounds like alot of work, I'm aiming for usable in regards to this bike rather then perfect. I'll see how nice I get the rest of the bike and consider doing the downpipe properly. It's a shame there aren't many second hand ones around

10. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

I think I will try sealing them first and see how that goes, I highly doubt the bike will lose any power as it's a 4 into 2 anyway. Only 1 way to find out I guess.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm also running cone filters so will let everyone know how that goes.

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I'd seal them first as you said just in case you end up with engine problems. Running pods requries re-jetting but that might already have been done. Check your jets to see if they are stock or not. After you get it running you might want to adjust the valves. Do a video of that. Then sync the carbs. Also do a video of that. As far as I know no one here on the Forum has done videos of the work that they have done. Also do a video of cleaning the carbs. Someone needs to do it and you seem to do a good job. :notworthy:.

12. Ed

Ed Active Member

The crossover does help with power. Without it, you won't have any evenly spaced exhaust pulses merging which helps exhaust flow throughout. The stock headers aren't paired properly for evenly spaced pulses. It's only done at the crossover. Evenly spaced pulses by pairing headers 1 with 4 and 2 with 3 and then into one is how it should be for best low and mid range power. Sharing mufflers to reduce restriction helps up top.

13. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

Thanks Ed, that's interesting to know exactly what they do. I can just buy a pipe and fabricate it to link the pipes again I was just considering lazy options first.

I will film what I do and let everyone know the outcome. Thanks

14. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

Thanks,

My plan is to restrict the pods using an insert of flat filter to restrict the air more bringing it back closer to stock although still slightly more air, I show the carbs briefly in my video but didn't film it because I've filmed carb cleans on my channel before.

Now that I know there are plenty people interested in this bike I will film as much as I can to help people out. That's why I have my channel anyway.

Thanks for your help.

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: What is your U-Tube channel.

16. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

Charlie, welcome to the forum. It's great that you are trying to rescue one of these old ZL's. Great video! Good luck with getting her sorted out.

17. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

I've put the link at the top of this page and you can see all my videos from there but generally it's about tidying up motorcycles and mopeds and keeping them on the road. Some are salvage bikes. I'm not a professional mechanic but have been working on bikes for around 16 years.

Thanks.

18. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

Thanks, I went to see this bike on Saturday and it was advertised for £750. At first glance I thought no way, it needs downpipes which are hard to find and cost hundreds and an airbox which again is hard to find and cost alot. So now I'm going to restore it sympathetically and get it road legal so that someone can enjoy it. The engine seems strong and it's a great shape so I'm sure someone will love it when it's ready. If of course I don't decide to keep it

19. Charlie1985

Charlie1985 New Member

Hi everyone, I've done a repair on the exhaust today. It's not pretty, but I believe it will hold out and possibly even pass an MOT if I ever get that far. Here's the link.

20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: To me it looked like the mid pipe had no lip left at all. Nice fix. I always wondered about that brand of muffler repair.