1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Ez zl600 valve clearance check method?

torontobikeguy Nov 11, 2019

1. torontobikeguy

torontobikeguy New Member

Reading that while I'm sorting out my carbs I may want to check valves for adjustment. I have the supplement manual but some videos suggest it's wrong. Am I correct that if I set the crank at tdc i will know if it's #1 or #4 just looking at the cam for the lobe center actuation on 12 exhaust or 34 exhaust?

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

You should follow the manual.

I usually make a diagram of the valves to keep track of which ones are done.

The lobes of the cam need to be pointed 180° away from the tappet when gauging them.

I always double check my measurements after all are gone through once.

3. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Start with the engine cold! Cylinder 1 is on the Left sitting on the Bike, gear change side. Remove Cylinder 1 & 4 spark plugs. Spin the rotor by turning the crankshaft nut! Ignore the single on it's own T Mark, TDC is the T amongst the other letters align with the Line mark on the casing The IN & EX marks on the camshaft will point towards one another when cylinder 1 is at TDC. I usually use a pencil down the spark plug hole to check TDC is physically matching where it should be! In this position all valves in cylinder 1 can be adjusted, the Exhaust valves for cylinder 2 & the Inlet valves for cylinder 3. Rotate the crankshaft one full turn, align the TDC mark, the IN & EX on the Camshaft will be facing away from each other, with piston 4 @ TDC you can adjust cylinder 2 Inlets, cylinder 3 Exhausts, all of cylinder 4s valves.
    See attached. When you are finally ready to adjust and everything is static, place a rag in the camshaft tunnel to avoid anything falling down there, as happened to me this Summer! A Ba spanner 10 Ba fits the stem. Screenshot at 2019-11-13 22:01:23.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  4. Trojan441

The IN EX marks on the Cam and their orientation tell you which cylinder 1 or 4 is @ TDC!

5. Trojan441

20190827_150432.jpg