1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. baresrepeating

baresrepeating Supporting Member

humor me please.....if sitting on the bike the left coil wires go to the first plug on the left and the last plug to the right and the coil on your right goes to the second and third plugs from the left? 1234?....grasping at straws

2. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

For coil position, I've got 2 and 3 on the left and 1 and 4 on the right. Actual firing order is 1243. Later.

3. baresrepeating

i am so confused... are you describing left as if you are sitting on the bike? the coil at your left leg? I thought that was 1 and 4? ok so if the firing order is 1243 I am doing something way wrong......

4. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah, as I am sitting on the bike. Coil position shouldn't matter as long as you have the plug wires on the proper coils and the electrical wires going to the coils are on the proper ones. Later.

5. Jarney

The coil with spark plug wires going to #2 and #3 cylinders should have a red and green wire going to the coil.
    The coil with spark plug wires going to #1 and #4 cylinders should have a red and black wire going to the coil.

It shouldn't matter which coil is in which position - left or right. Later.

6. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Sitting on the bike, the coil on the left side [rider's left] should go to cylinders 1 & 4, the coil on the right side should go to cylinders 2 & 3. The cylinders are numbered 1-2-3-4 across the bike, starting on the left. The firing order, which is different from the physical positioning of the cylinders, is 1243; this is done for vibrational balancing purposes on almost all vehicles.

I'd recommend sitting down with the ZL manual, make sure your wiring from the pickup coils to the ignition coils to the spark plugs is correct.

7. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

And as Jarney mentioned, each coil's two plug wires are interchangeable; they both pulse at the same time every time. This is known as a "waste-a-spark" system; one spark fires at the end of the compression stroke and the other cylinder is on the exhaust stroke at that point and ignores the spark. This is done for cost efficiency, eliminates having a distributor or more pickup coils.

8. baresrepeating

well i had the 1 and 4 coil on the left side of bike with the red and black and the 2 and 3 on the right with the red and green here is my dillemma......i have had the order as follows from the 1 and 4 coil the wires went to the first plug on the left and the last plug to the right and it ran. when i just went outside and swapped them to 1243 it wont start....switch it back and it fires up

9. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Coil with black wire goes to 1-4. Coil with green wire goes to 2-3. Firing order is set by the cam shafts. When you say you set them to 1243 you're not making any sense at all

10. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Read the post above about firing order vs physical order, I'm sending you a PM with my phone#, give me a call.

11. baresrepeating

thank you-i appreciate your direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. jeffzl1000

jeffzl1000 Active Member

im only about 10 miles from you so if you want i will stop by and we will straighten out youre coils and wires and we can even swap out my pickup coils to youre bike to see if that is the cause of youre problem before you have to go buy a set or before you wind up putting a match to it lol. but i see you have the 900 and i have the 1k so not sure if they are interchangeable? anyone know if they are, save us from looking into it ??

13. baresrepeating

Hey Jeff....thanks so much for your continued willingness to help! seriosly thanks man....I spoke with
    one of the other members on the phone (BoB- what a great guy!) and he very calmly walked me through troubleshooting my issues. Turns out I have spark- the cylinders are just not firing. I am going to do a compression test and see where i am at. Turns out its not electrical at all.
    I was gonna get a tester today but my half day at work became a full day at work lol.... i will let you know how i make out. were do you usually ride? I have never seen a 1k other than picture and i have only seen one other 900 in mass since i got mine....anyhow if it doesnt work out i will invite you over for the bon fire lol!

14. jeffzl1000

jeffzl1000 Active Member

sounds good and good luck! im usually on the road some where between wollaston beach (where i live) and nantasket beach. i inheritade the bike from my cousin who always raved about it back when i had my ninja 600 back in the day, but ive only really come to appreciate it after rideing it and joining this forum and realizing how unique and rare they really are. ttyl