1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuse box repair service

kawboy Sep 12, 2011

1. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Offering ZL1000, ZG1000, ZL600A/B, ZL900 and similar j-box rebuild/repair service.
    Disassemble the box, resolder all connections, test the diodes and relays, and replace parts as needed. The circuit board and connector pins are cleaned. After reassembly, the box is completely tested per the factory service manual.

Rebuild your j-box - $45

Buy j-box from stock - $75 ($30 refund upon receipt of your rebuildable box*)

Return shipping $5 1st class, $8 priority.

*Rebuildable means no melted case, no damaged circuit board, no broken pins.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. kawboy

Hellion - your relays are ordered, send your box when you can.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. kawboy

Anyway, back on topic, if anyone does need the service, and doesn't want to gamble on a used box (I wouldn't), I'm here.

If you want to tackle this yourself, and are unsure how to go about it, cube top and furchin have nice write-ups in this section. I can help if you have questions.

4. cobra-quick

cobra-quick Active Member

Recently had kawboy rebuild my uncle's zl1000 junction box. He did an AWESOME job! dont buy a used one, dont try to rebuild it yourself, send it to kawboy he will go through the ENTIRE thing, it will work better than NEW guranteed! Thanks again Kawboy.:hello2:

5. kawboy

Thanks for the feedback, cobra.

I can now do these on an exchange basis - I can send you a good one for $75, will refund $30 upon receipt of your rebuildable core.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Thanks for providing this service to our membership Kawboy! You're one of the true 'helpers' on this site and should be recognized as such. Thanks Bro!

7. kawboy

I have j-boxes ready to ship if anybody needs one.

thanks

8. kawboy

OK, any time. Better yet, get'em both done :laughing7:

9. kawboy

Billy - your mail box is full.

10. kawboy

1 year wonder - yours went out today. I sure could use your old one if you want to get rid of it.

thanks

11. kawboy

Thanks, Matt

12. kawboy

Trade-ins keep this ball rolling, and keeps it affordable. Otherwise, I have to buy off ebay, and they're not always cheap. So please send in your trade for this service.

Also, I send out a complete unit - rubber boot, fuse cover, puller, and all fuses. Please include all these items when you send in your trade.

I could use a core or two if anyone has one to spare.

thanks

13. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

Hey Kawboy..

that's a really great service you provide. I'll have to get you mine...no issues, and I want to keep it that way...the PO, really screwed me on this bike as I've spent all summer getting it road worthy. He neglected my sled and just sold it, as it was needing a considerable amount of work...so he just got rid of it before he had to invest the money that I have had to invest.

14. kawboy

scooby - the 900 box does not have solder joints, so there is really nothing to do it if it ain't broke.
    If you're really bored, I guess you could remove the relays and grease the connections, but that's about it.

15. reddobie0

reddobie0 Well-Known Member

Can you rebuild another fuse box for me. Tried to send you a pm but you are full. Let me know. Thanks.

16. kawboy

Red - I will be glad to check it out for you, but there's really no rebuilding on the 900 box. There's no solder, it's all copper bus bars and plug-in components. IIRC, on your last one, I found a fuse clip not making contact.

What kind of problem(s) are you having?

17. reddobie0

reddobie0 Well-Known Member

So when you hit the starter button all lights go out but bike starts. I switched around relays and fuses to no change. I had a spare fuse box and I put that one in and it worked fine. I think the starter relay was acting up new one coming today. I couldn't start the bike without jumping relay the other day.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  18. kawboy

OK, let us know if that fixes it.

19. Blue-Grass-Tornado

Blue-Grass-Tornado _________________________ BANNED

20. kawboy

Blue Grass, he has a 900, totally different box. There are few replacements, the '84-'86 Ninja 900 being one.

The Concours, any year, does work on the 1K. I don't know of any other replacement. I've fixed a few of those, too, so don't know if they are better.