1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP Gas cap key question for 86 ZL600 owners

DesertKyorugi Jan 9, 2020

1. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi New Member

IMG_20200109_155440.jpg I had new keys made via code and it works like a charm on everything(ignition switch, helmet locks and seat release) but the gas cap. The key does not go in all the way with the gas cap lock. It goes in about 90% and that's it. Is that how it is or I have a bad key or stuck gas cap lock?

Is there a special procedure for opening the gas cap? Push and turn? or just turn? Mine is not moving at all. It has very little give when pushing down on the gas cap.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Maybe the tank or cap has been swapped sometime in the past?

3. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

My key doesn't go all the way, either but if opens it n' shuts it, original key n' original lock, copies I had made do just the same!

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Both my ZL 10 & EL 250 gas cap locks do the same thing. The EL cap is new so I think they are designed that way.

5. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

:hello:Affirmation:laughing7:.

6. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi New Member

Thank you, guys! Now I know it is probably the lock latch and not the key. Going to have to soak the heck out of it and then knock it loose.

7. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi New Member

After soaking the gas tank with wd40 and PBBlaster upside down for a day, and hammering the cap with a rubber mallet from every direction, it is open!!!
    Not sure if it is salvageable. Looks much worse than my ZZR cap when it seized

IMG_20200113_153818.jpg

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Unscrew it, take it apart and hit all the parts with an sos pad. It will be ok but be careful with the springs when taking it apart.

9. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

You got lucky. Sometimes it takes a big screwdriver and a hammer. :cry:

10. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi New Member

It is not my first time dealing with a stuck gas cap. Once I am certain it wasn't the key I know I am dealing with a corroded locking tab/latch. Just need to soak it and gently hammering it from every direction to break the seal