1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

How is the economy where you are?

rkerg Jul 14, 2009

1. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

We have lots of members in lots of places all over the world so, after hearing yet another item on the radio about the economy, I thought that I would ask the Elimination. You all have your own experiences and hear from your friends and relatives, so, how is the economy doing where you are?

Same old same old?

Worse than last year?

Slightly better than last year?

A lot better than last year?

None of the above?

2. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I think the economy here in Pa is about the same as last year. The big thing that I have to biiiitch about is we the commonwealth do not have a budget and being a state worker I am not getting paid for any hours worked after July 1.

3. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

Ouch. Are you getting IOU's like some are out here in Caliphonia?

4. polecat

polecat "Strip Warrior"

it stinks here i had to sell the bike

5. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Where are you at?

6. polecat

polecat "Strip Warrior"

louisville, Ky

7. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Oh I will eventually get paid for all hours worked but in the mean time no income 'till a budget is passed. Back in '91 we went 7 weeks before getting a paycheck.

8. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

9. polecat

polecat "Strip Warrior"

yep i got to ride with him he is a great guy

10. Bacchus

Bacchus Senior Member Supporting Member

Phoenix is a bust-

was hoping to sell the business and the house and move back to Iowa, get me a 10-20ac farmette with a big shop, maybe take a "regular" job for a while..

housing market here is a disaster, currently we are at 50% off or more from peak home values. I read in the paper that there are 50,000 "pending" foreclosures in phoenix. If any of you guys ever wanted a house in this town..... everything is on sale, just bring your half off coupon with you!

a reasonable sale of a business at this time is unrealistic unless a person was willing to accept penny's on the dollar. I'm not, so Ill have to stick it out until finacing becomes available to potential buyers, and the overall economy will allow for a profitable sale.

people are in lock down when it comes to their wallets. it appears as though people in this town are willing to spend "whatever it takes" or "nothing at all". Right now they aint spending nothing at all.

I guess the good news is that rush hour has been reduced to about 15 min on monday, wednesday, and friday...lol

11. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

I know a gal who works for the state out here and they are making her take 3 unpaid days off each month.

12. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

My ultra small business is doing a little better this year than last, but I think that might be because most of my competitors have gone out of business.

13. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

Here in central IL.Its about the same as last year.Where I work(my full time job),we are a little better than last year,we just picked up a sizable account.We have had 10 or 12 folks laid off(voluntarily,out of 200),they should all be back by the end of the month.

I think most of the business around here have been slow,and had some folks laid off,but not as bad as alot of other communities.

On the up side I refinanced my house,and went from a 30yr at 6% to a 15yr at 4.25%,and it only cost $20 a month more.Gas and diesel are 1/2 price from last yr.You can also get a real good deal on a new car or truck.Used ones not so much.I hope it picks up,but I don't really see it happening for a while.

14. Blue-Grass-Tornado

Blue-Grass-Tornado _________________________ BANNED

Things here in the Dallas area are pretty good, I work at a hospital in the I/T field, so I'm not worried about losing my job, not to mention I've got 19 years seniority, alot of folks would be gone before me, I hope anyway! The used bike market is DOWN, way down, people are giving bikes away, and they are not selling really well either. Good for me, since I buy alot more than I sell, but times are tough for alot of people I know in the real estate business. Overall, I'd say things are a little worse off now than a year ago, but it will turn around, it always does............

15. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

It is bad here in Fairmont Minn.! Lots of business going down, peeps getting laid off continuously! Seems like any city around that isn't a college community is getting worse! My brother in law just lost his job in Hutchinson, he worked maintenance in the factory for probly 30+ years!
    I am just glad to have a job in a company that is growing!

16. Wold

Wold Well-Known Member

all will known in the comparison (i know this phrase in russian, but english not sure right)
    welcome to the Russia :nike:
    some people who migrate to USA say, that economical crisis not in USA, just in Russia
    we obtain the oil and sell it for another countries, but price for gasolin here twice bigger than in USA
    no industries, all that was created many years ago, when USSR was, now became old and destroyed
    prices for food big too,
    before crisis people answer that price is big because fuel is expensive
    now price for oil down but price for food go up, and answer is... because course of US dollar grow up :blah:
    i live alone and live like in dreams, i dont think about money and comfort
    and i feel good, thanks God :thumbsup: and hope will better and better :hello2:

but nobody buy my ZL900, even price like 400 ccm bike
    and i want fresh sporttourist bike like VFR800 :nike:

17. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor Senior Member

In Thailand, people are getting laid off left, right and center and still the Thai baht (money) is strong. Don't know how it can be as there has been so much construction here and now NO one is buying. Call me whatever you want but I hope it goes down the drain. The Thai baht has killed me over the last 3 years and now I have lost more than half of what my house cost in that period just on exchange rates on my pension.

Crime is going up all over the place and your life here isn't worth 1000 baht ($30) here. Hell, you give em your money and they still kill you. Just about a month ago, some gang here was putting up wire across a road to stop people on bikes. It can be a really crazy place and you HAVE to know where and when not to go to some places.

The cops are a joke and the whole place is so corrupt that it's ingrained into Thai society to such a degree that it is almost totally accepted and viewed as totally unavoidable.

18. Blagadán

Blagadán Moderator Moderator

In Ireland, the last 12 months has turned the country into a nervous wreck. Unemployment is now over 12% which is a 15 year high, thats about half a million people claiming social welfare payments. On an island with a population of around 4.2 million people, that is fairly significant.
    We rode on the crest of a booming economy for almost 10 years but it all fell down. Economists are blaming the weaking dollar for our demise. If you ask me, it's our government overspending on just about everything, not aclimatising to the economic direction of the country and now were in ****.

A small scale example... the company I work for had about 8 subcontractors locally that we worked with. Most of those guys are now closed and we are having to source materials and sub contract work out farther afield which adds a lot to our overheads.. This is happening across the board.
    A lot of the huge multinational companies are pulling out of ireland now which is having a major knock on effect with smaller businesses who depended on them. The multinational company I worked for before this job was considered a solid, prosperous company with a very good future. That company is now looking shaky. The corporate bosses are considering on moving that facility east where labour and materials costs are far cheaper.
    Our housing construction industry is stopped dead. This time last year, there were contractors putting up housing developments just about everywhere to meet the demand. Now there are half finished construction sites all over the country that are fenced off with barriers and in a dischevelled state.
    Everyone is looking at emigration, its like the 1980's all over again...

The company I work for is on the rocks now. We depended heavily on investors and financing from the banks to run our business. Now the banks are no longer offering credit to small businesses and all of the investors are holding on tight to their purses too. 'tint a pretty picture goin forward.

I could go on but I guess you get the picture.

Tourism is our saving grace at the moment but apparently that is also down by a large margin also...

To sum it up in one sentence, Our economy is screwed.

Christ, I'm starting to depress myself now.... :help:

19. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Same as everyone else I guess, here in Indiana, at least in my area I think it's a little worse than last year. I think I heard on the radio that the US is at 10% unemployment rate?
    Real estate is in bad shape - seems like every other house is for sale. Hear about foreclosures left and right, see lots of cars at banks that have been repoed. Bikes don't seem much cheaper around here. See lots of scooters on the road now - gas mileage? Cheap transportation?
    On the plus side, gas is cheaper than last year - so far.
    Businesses are in bad shape - in my city/county, where I work is the last fully operating "big business", (other than health field jobs like the hospitals, etc.) and the only union shop left around. We are still waiting to hear if there will be layoffs or cutbacks since our owners from overseas stopped by to take a tour of the plant and have some meetings. Still on the fence as far as employment goes. We were told that our parent company overseas is seeing a slight uptick in sales of certain types of steel - maybe a sign that things are slowly picking up. When a business shuts down or gets bought out around here, the trend seems to be to move the jobs somewhere else. People are not spending money here either. Banks aren't loaning money, etc. Groceries are up just a little too. I'm sure it will turn around as well - eventually. Great topic. Interesting to see how everyone else is doing. Later.

20. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Just thought I would revive this old thread. We had an "unscheduled" meeting Monday where I work - "unscheduled" is never good. But they informed us that we will only be doing a 4 day work week starting next week. So I was just wondering if things were picking up or getting worse in other parts of the country. They are not picking up here in Indiana - at least not in my area. Later.