1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Igniter earthing better Ignition spark

Trojan441 Jan 15, 2020

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

2. Trojan441

Is this guy onto something because I intend to do this this Weekend!

3. Trojan441

I stripped down Spark plug Suppressors caps, only thing I didn't do was number them from the cylinders, so as to further identify any information data on the ignition process, so to speak, but next time I will! So I am guessing the two bright n' the two duller one match up to the coils,

However, there were slight differences in appearance, two were bright n' shiny n' two were a bit duller and one in particular had carbon deposits on it n' I bet that was cylinder 3 when it went down on me returning from the TT last Summer, the four spark plugs were replaced also last Summer, after discovering I had one defective plug! the NGK caps some 4 years ago. Interesting that the white lettering on them has a different pattern too!
    20200117_093222.jpg 20200117_093841.jpg

4. Trojan441

5000, Ohms resistance! You can see it on the fine lettering!

5. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

I don't want to butcher the wire harness on my '86 600 so I'm going to replace the metal connector directly at the housing with a new one crimped and soldered to a dedicated ground wire. The pulled connector will also get grounded with a proper PnP lead. No need to cut any wires and restoring back to stock is easy.

6. Trojan441

I checked my spark plugs and they are the Resistor type NGK DR8ES R so I am guessing they have resistors in them which will add to that of the 5,000 Ohms of the Suppressor caps, I think I perhaps need non-resistor type plugs for a better spark, any thoughts?
    It is only one Black n' Yellow earth wire and from it U can get two earthing points!

7. Trojan441

I have NGK DR8ES R plugs with resistors in them n' added to the 5,000 Ohms of the Suppressor caps I may be better off with non-resistor plugs for a better fatter spark! Any thoughts out there?

8. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Yup, switch those plugs out!

87kawzl likes this.
  9. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

You could also keep the resistor plugs and replace the resistors with copper slugs.

Trojan441 likes this.
  10. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

Two new spade connectors (one male for the pulled connector and one female for the igniter) are needed to make two new separate grounds without cutting wires.

11. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Trojan441

Looks Good!