1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki ZL 600 doesn't start, backfires

Karlijn Feb 20, 2019

1. Karlijn

Karlijn New Member

Hey all,

So last october I bought my first motorbike, the ZL600. I put the stock airbox back in, drove it for a few weeks and life was good. I put it in the garage for 2 months (due to me being wuss and a dislike for the cold). Started it back up a week ago. first time, it started (after a few tries). Second time (same day) started without trouble. Next day, it wouldn't start whatsoever. Last week I have been looking at it almost daily, but since I don't really know about bikes I can't figure out why it won't start.
    - Spark plugs work fine
    - Got fuel in the carbs
    - Does not run with starter fluid/easy burning gas at all
    - Start motor is rotating but engine won't turn over
    - It has backfired a few times now (big bang from exhaust pipe)

If any of you have an idea what it might be or how to fix it I'd love to hear it!

2. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Sounds to me like starter clutch failure, sometimes slips through and sometimes engages. Well known to the 900 but just my guess, ZL600-experts here will join in to help! :)

3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Didn't read too good on that. I'm with the Harriminator. Try rocking it in second to see if it gets to a good spot and catches a gear.

4. Ed

Ed Active Member

Sounds rich. Was it rejetted to work with open filters before you put the stock box back on?

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: When you installed the air box to carb boots was they dry rotted. Did you check for cracks. Last month I used your trick for installing my ZL 10 carb boots. :notworthy:. You might try doing away with the vacuum emission hoses & plugging off the ports on the carbs. Tie wrapping.jpg

6. Karlijn

Karlijn New Member

Thanks guys! She was a little bit too heavy to rock in second gear, so I had to wait for some help with that. Finally got her running again, and decided a new accu was more than necessary. Had some issues with the cooling system, but got it sort of working.

Now she runs great, had my first overnight trip this weekend and loved it!

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Glad that you got it up & running. :notworthy:. So what was the problem.

8. Karlijn

Karlijn New Member

Not really sure, we believed a part of it might have been the clutch, which was sticking a little. So tie wrapping the clutch handle closed for a while and playing a bit with the cable might have worked.
    We tried so many things we didn't know what exactly did the trick in the end XD