1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Kickstand Down and Into the Ditch?

ZLrider Jun 4, 2018

1. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Just curious what you guys think. A few years ago on a KZ650 I had an incident where the damned bike just wouldn't turn. I turned the bars, leaned it over, bike went straight. Really ruined my Fathers Day!

I've to this day been puzzled by this. The only thing I could even imagine causing it was maybe the kickstand was down. Yet, you'd think it would just fold back up if it touched the pavement. This theory is a little weak though because this was not the first left hander taken since leaving the gas station.

I was moving along pretty good and it was a tight 90, but well within the bikes capabilities and a curve I've gone around 100s of times before. Stood it up for a split second, leaned it over again and the road and I parted company. Low level damage to the bike, but nothing I couldn't repair. Low level damage to myself as well. Huge gouge in my leather boot. Glad I wasn't wearing tennis shoes, would have made a mess out of my foot.

Anyhow I went around this very curve a couple hours ago and I always think back to that day and always crawl around it.

Comments?

2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Back in 1974 I was on this road for the first time. My Sister was way ahead of me on a much faster bike. I was trying to catch her. I came around a 90* turn at about 50 MPH & went stright into the woods. To this day when I go to PA I check out that road. :laughing7:. I've road off many times with the stand down on bikes but never crashed because of it. This was on (70s) bikes that had no safety switch on the stand.

3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Kickstand safety switch is a great thing...even if it causes some embarrassment on occasion.

4. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Nothing to be embarrassed about. One time while in High School a friend's dirt bike quit running. I towed him 5 miles through the woods to my place. We started checking things. After about an hour I realized he was just out of gas. :laughing7:. I pulled him using our boot laces. :laughing7:. Still was not embarrassed.

5. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Wow, they don't make shoestrings like that anymore! LOL

So any theories on why a bike suddenly refuses to turn? It had never happened to me before or since. I don't think I skidded at all and the bars seemed to turn normally. Thankfully I was not that far from home, it was quite the experience riding it back with the handlebars all out of whack. On the plus side, I did learn how to do an alignment on a bike and it did seem to handle better once I did.

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: That was back in 74. I pulled his 1970 CT 70 with my 74 XL 70. We wore mil spec army boots. :laughing7:. We used to get them for free. We had a State Tropper stop us. He thought it was funny.