1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Kids on Bikes?

ZLrider Jun 20, 2019

1. ZLrider

ZLrider Senior Member

My grandson just turned 4 and really wants to go with me when I ride. He's way too young, but still it makes me feel bad that he gets all sad when I leave him behind. He pretty much goes everywhere with me.

Just wondering what the rest of you think about safely giving kids a ride? Seems putting them in front of you is not a good idea, but think it will be a long time before he'll be able to hang on for himself behind me. I see they make a belt that kind of ties the two of you together, but still seems like he'd have to have his feet on the pegs to be stable.

My old man was a Harley guy, but he had to sell his bike when I was born, so I never even saw it, much less went for a ride. First ride I ever had was when the neighborhood delinquent stole the keys to his Dad's BMW and took me along. I was about 12 or 13. At 14 I had my own bike.

I'd feel awfully bad if the kid got hurt and of course it will likely cost some pretty good dough for riding gear, so don't think this will be happening anytime real soon.

So how old were you guys when you were first ever on a bike and how young have your passengers been?

R. J. likes this.
  2. 2manybikes

2manybikes Supporting Member

I got a mini bike ride when I was about 10, hooked! Started off on dirt bikes at 11 and put my first street bike on the road in 78. My daughter pleaded with me to take her riding when she was younger. (Her brother never had any interest.) I told her when she could sit on the seat behind me and put her feet flat on the pegs she could go. She got on quite a few times straining to show me her legs were long enough! I'm not sure if that's the correct amswer, but safety is still number one on my list. My granddaughter actually asked me again last week. I gave her the same answer. I have been known to break a few rules for her, but not that one. She is getting close though, at 10 she is almost as tall as her grandmother!

R. J. likes this.
  3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I rode my Sons around the yard & in the woods starting at age 4 on my quad. I bought the smallest full face helmet that I could find. Childs XXS. They both started riding a Suzuki JR 50 2 speed 2 stroke at age 5. We would take them out to this really nice grass covered dryed up man made lake that was as big as 2 football fields. The first 4 or 5 rides I'd run beside them using a home made theather switch made from a set of contact points with a long phone cord. :laughing7:.

4. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

long ago, in a state far far away.... my dad taught me to ride a honda 50 scooter when I was in Kindergarden…. I took my eldest for a ride at the same age, say around 5 or 6 years old...

R. J. likes this.
  5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I started out on a 1968 Rupp mini bike. Then in 1974 I got a 1974 Honda XL 70 K0 at age 13 which was licensed for the street. I never got stopped by the cops. At age 15 I got my permit and took my bike license at 16 which I had before I could drive a car. I didn't drive until I was 19.

6. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

My first bike ride was on the back of a neighbors 250 dirt bike blasting through the woods. No glasses on and tears were flowing from the wind blast. The top of my head was about even with the seat and there were no rear pegs probably 4 or 5 years old. I held on for dear life and was hooked ever since.

As for your grandson, make sure it's good with both his parents, wrap a bungee around both of you and have him sit in front. He will feel like 25 mph around the neighborhood is being on a rocket. It's really up to his parents I'd say though.

R. J. likes this.
  7. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

My first ride was on the back of one of my Uncles' old early panheads at the tender age of @ 10 years old. I have a 5 year old grandson and 3 year old grandaughter and neither one will get on my bikes till they're old enough to rest their feet on the pegs. They'll also have to get mom and dads permission first!

8. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

I bought my kids a Honda ATC 70 when the oldest was 7. Shawn was 5 at the time. They got the safety talk and a helmet. They rode the crap out of that thing and both are licensed riders today.
    I gave both rides on my Voyager tank before they were 3.

9. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

First ride? On a push mower with grandpa in control. Sitting on that push mower while it was running got me thinking about go carts and minny bikes that I couldn’t have and my dad couldn’t afford.
    Second ride? just before kindergarden on a nieghors minny bike.
    Third ride? Actually rode it About a month into kindergarden when one of the kids and his older brother got some of those small Honda trail bikes. I still remember the feeling of flying when I used the front brake in some really loose coal silt. Never over used a front brake since!
    Fourth ride? The mini bike my favorite aunt gave me as a hand me down about a month later. It needed some fixing after being used by both my cousins for years but it was mine. Having to learn to fix it got me started wrenching and as far as the ridding it evolved fom that point on with no end in sight.

Street ridding seemed to be a no brainer for me as I would just about get goose bumps when the family would be going some place in the car any almost any kind of bike would pass. This along with the many trips down the road about 7 miles to the friends house that was closest to the girl I had my first crush on s House. She went for her first ride with me and latter became my girlfriend and gave me my first ride!:)

wuputt, markus56 and R. J. like this.
  10. ZLrider

ZLrider Senior Member

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like most of you agree that a kid has to be pretty well grown before he can safely ride pillion. Although it "seems" safer to have a kid in front of you, just like holding a baby on your lap in a car all is good until you have to stop and the little one turns into a projectile.

When I got the CL125 the age for any sort of license in Indiana was 16 with drivers ed. 16 1/2 without. When I got the bike the old man told me to push it to the fields and woods, but don't ride it on the street. Of course I pushed it far enough to where he wouldn't here it start and away I went! Soon the local cops were on to me and I had my share of run ins.

Then we moved to this wonderful place called Florida where a kid could get a motorcycle license at 14! Immediately I was legal......sorta. There was a 5 bhp limit. Since bikes don't list HP on them I never got hassled over it, even though the 125 made more power than that. I must admit that first year riding on the street involved a few accidents. Some severe, one put me in the hospital. Some were my fault, the bad one was not.

All things considered young kids on bikes are quite a concern to me. Anybody else attend the Hard Knocks Motorcycle Academy?

R. J. likes this.
  11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Here in FL it is illegal to ride kids on any kind of ATV/UTV or motorcycle under the age of 5 but they can ride alone. :laughing7:.

12. ZLrider

ZLrider Senior Member

I dunno why, but that made me laugh. I could make a snarky comment at the expense of the Sunshine State, but I will resist the urge.

13. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I know what you mean, I always scout out the "a Florida man" articles for a good chuckle.

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Once while riding my Sport Quad this one moron was riding a 2 month old baby on his 4x4 ATV. He had the kid in one of those baby back pack things. The babies head was just bouncing all around. What a d ick. It pissed me off. I felt like calling the cops but when I told him that it wasn't a good idea he told me to F off.

15. ZLrider

ZLrider Senior Member

That would have done it for me. I'da said OK how about you tell the cops and child welfare dept to f off! One of my big triggers is people abusing kids and animals. Kids can't stick up for themselves and unfortunately many idiots reproduce. Got to watch out for those poor young'ns.

There was a recent story concerning a local guy who was on a cruise ship. He accidentally let his grandkid fall 11 stories to her death on a cruise liner. Guy said that he wanted to let her bang on the glass like they let her do at hockey games. Oops no glass. I swear some people are just too stupid to raise children........or to drive a motor vehicle safely, but that's a whole other issue. The level of stupid is quite overwhelming in the US these days.....

R. J. likes this.
  16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I swear that this guy was bipolar. It's best to just walk away. You never know when you will get a gun pulled on you.

17. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

:hello:Just show your thoughts...:laughing7:
    im-with-stupid-tshirt-Black_grande.jpg

R. J. likes this.