1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets go hunting

R. J. Oct 24, 2013

1. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: My son & I got drawn for a special deer hunt for Oct 18th to the 20th at Seminole State Forest in Central FL near Sanford. We did not bag anything but had a great time. We seen 7 doe & 1 buck. We also seen a 300 + lb pig but could not get a shot on it. It was 90 + degs. Out of 40 hunters that was drawn for the hunt only 4 buck were taken. It was all free. They fed us lunch & gave out door prizes.

Attached Files:

2. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

Hell i thought pic#13 was you R.J with that wild hair of yours:rotf::rotf: Looks like fun,to bad you talk to much and ran all the deer off!!:pk::rotf: "("hey weres my sun glasses.weres my camera ,weres my gun.anyone seen my 4-wheeler, i need a beer,i gotta piss,anyone seen my sun glasses"):rotf:

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: None of that. I put my son Jared in charge. He even took the truck & 4 wheeler keys from me & said I don't want to get stranded out here. :laughing7: He wouldn't let me drive the 4 wheeler either. The one time I did drive I accidentally backed into a huge hole full of water. The cooler fell off the quad & my son got soked. We had to use the winch to get out of the hole. When I went to retrieve the cooler a cotton mouth was waiting on me. In 28 years of hunting in FL I have only been bitten twice my a Moccasin. They ended up being dry bites but on the second occasion my leg ended up with a infection anyway. We put 112 miles on the 4 wheeler in 4 days in the Forest. This was are first time in Seminole Forest so we wanted to check it out. Hope to get drawn next year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Wissler

Wissler Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Awesome Bro!
    Being an avid hunter, remembering the times my dad took me out, almost brings tears to my eyes after 30 years of bowhunting.
    Lots of great memories for you and your son.

Dads coming up with me the 1st week in November for the rut. He's 73 and gave up hunting in '07 but still enjoys being in the woods and sharing my daily experiences and videos of the ones I pass up....

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Ya I know wear you are coming from. :thumbsup: My Dad has long time past 1983, but the pics & memories are still with me. He was a great hunter & father. I still have all his guns & gear. Even his last hunting & fishing license. One gun was stolen not long ago but I think he was responsible for it's return. I restored all his guns back to like new condition. They will never leave the safe again. I had no idea that that hunt went on that we managed to pull permits for. Walmat & Pubix grocery stores supplied all the food. Bass Proshops, Gander Mt. & a half dozen other small gun shops supplied the door prizes & money. FWC had a Wildlife Biologist on hand. She was in charge of weighing & aging the deer. She had 12 Volunteers that served the food, gut the deer, quartered it out & de-boned it. They even provided the ice for your coolers. It was the hottest hunt that I have ever been on. 90*. It was so hot that it even melted the Tylenol that was in my front shirt pocket. This is a pic of my Dad"s biggest buck. It was taken on opening Day in Emeigh PA, Cambria County on Dec 1st. 1975 at 9:00 AM. It was -14 degs. The first & only time that we left the woods because it was too cold. I pushed through a thicket & he shot it 10 yards from the road. I only had to drag it 20 yards to the truck. It was so heavy that the 2 of us could not lift it up into the truck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: So anyone going deer hunting opening day in PA. My Nephew has some nice bucks on his property. This is one that he is going to try to take this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Has anyone killed any deer in the great white north this year. I can't believe that we do not have many hunters on our forum. When I lived in PA everyone hunted. It is the best way to spend time with family & was nice just to get out of the house in the winter. The schools in our area of PA close on the opening day of deer season. You all must be city slickers or afraid to go out in the snow. :laughing7:

8. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

People in my area don't have time to go hunting - we work all the time. And some of us work in almost outdoor conditions so the last thing I want to do is go stand around outside in the cold and snow. I'm dreading this week at work - single digit temps and who knows what it will be after the windchill. Does road kill count? I came home from work the other day and we had a very thick, heavy fog. There was a dead doe that someone must have hit with their car just on the other side of my driveway but still out on the highway. We've since gotten some snow and I think the plow trucks pushed the deer way down the road - it's gone now. Plus, it's mostly farm ground around here - empty fields - not many wooded areas left to hunt in and they are mostly privately owned - you'll get shot before you shoot a deer if they see you trespassing - hahaha. Later.

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I am from PA. Worked in the cold a mile under ground repairing/replacing high voltage deep mine cables & buggy operator cables crawling through water in a 3 foot ceiling. I always took the first week of buck season off. When in High School I took the first week off then. I've hunted in -14* weather. Hunting is a passion just like any other activity. It is all about spending time with family & friends. After moving to FL I still went to PA for the annual deer season. We spent 14 straight years hunting in the Allegany National Forest. We would camp out in tents. The cold is just a small obstetrical when it comes to hunting. I guess if you come from a nonhuntig environment you really can't grasp were I'm coming from. When it comes to hunting I'll take the snow & cold over 80 & 90* temperatures.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

I hunt Just don't talk about it much I grew up here in PA and have hunted all my life and can understand why you are confused with the lack of interest on the subject but for me its a pastime that puts meat on the table and not much else these days as all my good hunting companions have long since passed and the few that remain have moved off to other states.

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Ya I know what you mean. Many of our hunting companions have passed away or moved. Some just lost interest or are to old to take to the woods. My oldest son is a Paramedic & works 12 hour back shifts. So he does not hunt much anymore. I am also more interested in just the venision than than a large rack. I feel that some people do not talk about it much because it is not Politically correct. In the past I have experienced that when some coworkers find out that if a person hunts they take offence to it. I have known people to get passed on a promotion because of it. As of lately when it is late in the season I find myself loosing interest but I still manage to go. I have not made my trip to PA to hunt with Family for about 4 years. I am planing for next season.

12. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

The reason for me not talking about it much isn't anything to do with what people think about it. I really couldn't give a rats ass what is Politically correct or not and never really did. Problem is I got tired of listening to all all the bull ****ters and their know it all attitude. My brother in law and a few people at work all hunt and talk freely about it but we don't bull **** each other and we don't dominate the subject or conversation as if we do as we all know each of us are very competent hunters and always seem to fill the freezer with meat.

Upsetting those who would be offended at someone who hunts or believes in the second amendment at work or else where would be a bonus for me and could get me to talk about it much more I will have to start a conversation at work today and watch to see if anyone is offended, might be fun!

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I do not care either who it offends. When you work for a large Company with 10,000 employees someone is bound to get bent out of shape. I was sort of friends with 2 woman that I worked with when they found out I hunted they quite talking to me, but I did not loose any sleep over it. Talk about a no it all I went to up state NY to hunt with a friend. It was a big mistake. I did not know he was such a big story teller. He drove me nuts to say the least.

14. Skip

Skip Member

Those that get upset over deer hunting would probably change their minds, when one of them jumps in front of them, goes through the windshield and stomps them in the face til they die from their wounds.

15. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Did you know that white tail deer are responsible for killing more people every year more than any other animal. What I tell people who have something negative to say about hunting is the animals I kill I eat & that they are better for you. What cracks me up is when someone tells me that they wont eat wild game is because you do not know what they have been eating. I say to them I guess you go to these farm factories & feed the cows, pigs, chickens & fish yourself. What dumb a$$ wipes.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: It is still just to hot to be hunting. Looks like the cold front will not make it to us again. Temps still in the mid 80s. Rifle season here in FL runs through Jan 12th.

Attached Files:

17. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

All you darn hunters out there killing poor defenseless animals that have done nothing to you. You make me :puke: It would be different if you lived in the wild and "Needed" to kill them for food to survive. :protest:

I'm just jealous because I didn't get a thing this year. :rotf:

18. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

Hell I cant set still that long!!:laughing7: Plus the beer farts scare them away!!:rr::rotf:

19. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: What pisses me off is my sons always fall asleep. Then wake up & want to go eat brunch & I end up paying. I always hate when I doze off in the tree stand & dream I'm falling then wake up & forget I'm 20 some ft up in the air. That scares the hell out of me.

20. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

I didn't know hunters ate "brunch". Do you have quiche for brunch? :laughing7: