1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

lets take a vote how many would like to have chrome on their bikes?

madhatter Oct 27, 2011

?

To chrome or not to chrome!!

1. Chrome Yes!

58.3%
  2. Chrome No!

41.7%
  1. madhatter

madhatter Well-Known Member

I know that I like the chrome parts on bikes. It makes the bike really stand out. Yes it's alittle bit costly, but for an ole iron horse like ours she is worth it. When your parked out in front of your favorite saloon, or where ever you go and people pass by telling you that your bike is a clean machine, and its really is a tough looking bike. Ya know deep down inside that it's all worth it putting this machine back with a little bling bling. Just like buying a new saddle for a horse, or buying an easy rider rifle rack for the back of your pick-up truck.
    If your gonna buy pods, projet kits, SS brake cables, SS clutch cable, wave rotors, and all this new upgrade tech equiptment for the bike, ya might was well treat it to some bling bling to show it off as well as let everyone in back of you eat your dust when you pull out. LOL Just kidding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Chrome or not to chrome>>>>>>>>>>>>> I say chrome thats my vote

2. Blindante

Blindante Guest

vote CHROME....just need to find the bolt on chrome parts.

3. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

You forgot to add the poll options

4. madhatter

Thanks Mark, not sure if I got it right, but here it goes. Press button for yes , pull cord for no, insert 25c for beer......... Thanks

5. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

i am definitely into chrome, & pollished alluminum, also have all SS lines on Eleanor

6. madhatter

I just ordered some SS lines from Bacchus myself should be in very soon. Chrome makes the bike

7. madhatter

Hey mark kinda new to this is there somewhere on how to use all the features for setting up the polls? I see the options but I cant get what I am trying to set up for when I preview it. Trying to set up a yes or no for chroming. maybe you can do it from your end. Hope you vote chroming of the bike..........................

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  8. slug

slug Senior Member

I love my chrome, and have re-chromed several parts on my ZL, but too much chrome looks tacky imo, like woman with too much makeup/jewelry. I know other opinions differ but for example i dont like the chromed knee guards some people have on their ZL - they just appear incongruous to me. Look forward to the poll :)

9. madhatter

Right I know what your talking about. To each there own as far as how much they want to chrome. I just want a few things chromed like a radiator cover, forks, some snap on chrome for the swing arm like other bikes have at their convenience from these stores. Which I am looking at too. Snap on chrome brake covers, maybe in different colors, and what ever else fits your fancy. Just some bling in certain places of the bike to make it sparkle. So chrome for me

10. f1nxlife

f1nxlife Supporting Member

im not into chrome..,i really like billet aluminum..polished or brushed,,,and as far as my Zl s go,,,,,i love them just the way they come from the factor,,,now..with that said ...the previous owner of my 900,,had the valve cover chromed,,it looks ok,,but polished aluminum would be better,,,,but,,the red neon lights under the tank,,,make for a nice reflection at night,,,,,

Attached Files:

11. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

not

12. Blue-Grass-Tornado

Blue-Grass-Tornado _________________________ BANNED

I just bought a ZL900 a few months back that is SERIOUSLY chromed out, they even chromed the frame! It's a winter project though, it's going to need an engine transplant, but it's going to be SWEET when it's done!

[​IMG]

13. madhatter

Well any chrome parts that you want to let go let me know I am always looking for chrome being a city slicker and all. I got to have the bling bling. thanks ..................... NICE BIKE

14. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

OK poll added

15. slug

slug Senior Member

Not sure the question the poll is asking is easy to answer. Is it asking if you like chrome at all, or if you like more chrome than stock?

16. onegodinkansas

onegodinkansas Well-Known Member

I like the 'naked' black look better myself. I don't like the looks of the chrome airbox covers so I cleaned up & painted my airbox satin black like the rest of the bike. Then I went to the hardware store & bought large stainless headed screws & threaded them into the rubber grommets on the airbox. I also like the black tip on my stock muffler (like a Rinehart tip), as it accents that large of a piece of chrome (a mod. of necessity that has grown on me :)). Since my pipes were thrashed, I didn't feel bad about the chopping & drilling I did to the baffles (sounds awesome!). The icing on the cake has been the new EBC clutch fibers, & I cleaned up my steels in the mop sink w/ Barkeeper's Friend, & installed all 6 new EBC springs (woof!). I'll try to post up pic.'s soon of the progress I've made in the last few months.

17. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

The only time I really want for chrome is after 6 hours of disassembling and polishing aluminum and realizing i've got at least 6 more hours of detailing ahead of me.

18. onegodinkansas

onegodinkansas Well-Known Member

True dat. Good chrome is a piece of cake to clean compared to all this aluminum!

19. Bacchus

Bacchus Senior Member Supporting Member

ive done em both ways but I voted chrome for my personal favorite way to go

20. GGabrielK

GGabrielK Active Member

I'd chrome everything if I could aford it. Mix it up with the more modern way, that doesn't come off and gives you the choice of bright, shadow or black chrome...you can do plastic with it as well. What the O.E.M. use now. Perma-chrome or something like that.