1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a ZL1000

gideon Sep 3, 2018

1. gideon

gideon New Member

[​IMG] Hello, I’m currently looking to buy a ZL1000 for 1500 bucks with 30k miles on it. The guy assures me it runs but needs an oil change and carb cleaning but who really knows. I’m just looking for some advice as to if I should make the purchase or not. Thanks.

2. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

I'd go, hear it run. He says it's been sitting for years. It will need the carbs cleaned. Unless you'll do it yourself it will be a couple hundred or so to send them out. There is a member here Rick you can find in member services that is nothing short of incredible. Rebuilding carbs is all he does and it shows. In my opinion, it's a great example for the $1500 and will likely need some work depending on how it was maintained. This site with its members is a the best resource you could find. I don't think there is an issue with these bikes this site hasn't tackled. If your mechanical, you'll be able to take care of any necessary maintenance or repairs, if not, the cost can add up depending. I would definitely say, don't expect it WON'T need some work for $1500. You won't just put it on the road and enjoy the rest of the season without some work, at the very least removal, rebuild and replacement of the carbeurators. Just 1 opinion

Really take a look at what's going on with that gas cap! And check inside for rust.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  3. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Are you in Mass? Where at?

4. gideon

gideon New Member

I’m in Plymouth

5. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

One thing that can make or break the deal is to check for hydrolock. To check for that, you need to remove the tank, remove all the plugs and compare cylinders 1 & 4 for the same height; then compare cylinders 2 & 3 for the same height. That will tell you if the connecting rods are bent due to raw fuel leaking into the cylinders and hitting the start button.
    This video explains it in more detail.

markus56 likes this.
  6. gideon

gideon New Member

That’s my only problem- I don’t know if I want a project going into the winter. I really just wanted something bigger than my current bike to have fun on till it really starts getting cold.

7. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

As said, don't buy a 15 hundred dollar bike and not expect to have some issues to straighten out on it. The bike doesn't look bad but looks and pics both can be deceiving. Look for rust in the tank since that in itself can cause issues.

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

It's probably seen some weather with the seat being recovered. If it looks decent it's probably worth a go. Bars have been changed, look for signs of being dropped. Ask if he has the original bars.