1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

My new 86' ZL 600!

Theodore Dekeyser Jul 19, 2019

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: THEO: Have you made any head way on your bike.

2. Will do thank you

3. Very good point. I had them out and cleaned them the best I could but it made no difference. If anything it's worse like won't start at all now. One other aspect I feel might have a lot to do with it is the rebuilt fuel petcock.

4. I have finally got things set in order. I trailered the ZL to the DMV for a VIN Inspection, then I filled out a form and had it notarized, sent that in to the DMV headquarters and they did a VIN and theft check as well as returned to me the bond requirement which is 5000$. Turns out I only have to pay 100$ to the bond company to get a 5000$ bond which is a huge relief!. Now I have to purchase that bond for 100$, take 4 pictures of the bike - one from each side, get a 30$ money order, send that all back in and they will send me a title in my name that will read bonded across it for a period of 3 years. Then I can take that title in and get licensed. So I'm just about there.

87kawzl likes this.
  5. So I removed the fuel petcock and rebuilt it with the kit from K&L
    15878073328133108640678568186144.jpg

And one thing I feel isn't right is that it takes a tremendous amount of t of force to turn the dial from ON to PRI or RES. I almost need vice grips to move it, what could be causing this?
    15878075265735029595106882401554.jpg 1587807563797915778257754585912.jpg

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The first time that I rebulit the petcock/fuel valve on my ZL 10 I used a K&L rebuild kit. 3 things that make the handle tight is (1) rust (2) K&L parts to thick. (3) The tension spring (rusted) washer in yellow needs flipped. The fuel valve body needs to be completely rust free. Evaporust works best or my home remedy. Distilled white vinegar and baking soda. Use 2 table spoons of baking soda to 8 oz of vinegar. First brush on the solution with a small brass wire brush. If all the rust doesn't come off. Soak the petcock in the solution for a few hours then clean it with carb cleaner. IMG_8960.JPG

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  7. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

:hello:I have here a brand new ZX900 petcock which I disassembled completely coz there were some chips inside of drilling the holes, obviously not cleaned good enuff. I noticed that the rubber piece with the 5 holes had a thin film of oil on it which makes it easier to turn the dial. My 2ct.

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I've had one that was tough to turn and the rubber insert shifted and wedged on the locator tube. I use a dab of plumbers grease or silicone to give a very light coat on the rubber and sand the mating surface of the lever with 600 grit on a flat bench in a circular pattern till it's polished up real nice.

I'd say take it apart and investigate.

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

First thing you did wrong is use a K&L kit. I've found that they often don't fit a well as a OEM part so I stay away from them.

10. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I haven't run into any problems with the K&L parts.

11. 2manybikes

2manybikes Supporting Member

Me either, and I have used a LOT of them. I always use Parker O ring lube on the rubber pieces. As R.J. mentioned, clean and inspect all parts.

12. Thanks everyone for the advice, I did take it apart and the washer did need to be flipped. Hit it with some grease, put it back together and walla! Smooth as butter.

Yet it didn't help the bike run any better. Does anyone know if having the float height out of adjustment can cause the bike to barely run?

13. I ran thru the carbs yet again but this time I did the comprehensive rebuild kit which changes almost everything you can change. The bike will now start w/o starting fluid but the Instant I try to turn the choke off it dies, also if I try to rev it it bogs down and dies if I hold I long enough... Do those symptoms point to anything I'm wondering?