1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

need advice on bike not ideling

danielle1987zl600elemater Aug 5, 2019

1. hi I'm Danielle I have a 1987 zl 600Eliminator that has been sitting many years its all-stock 100 % even the tires from 1987... (not even kidding !) bike has 6779 miles has been sitting abandon in a whare house that was falling down managed to track down original owner and he just gave it to me title keys and all i was shocked to find out it on suffered a dent on the tank and a broken turn lamp oh and one of the footpegs broke but when the roof of the building fell on top of it ...
    anyway put a hot battery in and a shot of starting fluid later it started but I knew the carbs need to be gon through so I tore them down replaced neede valve and air screws (only because they came with my kit ) and had the body of the carbs sonic cleaned by my neighbor no rust in tank new vacuum lines new fuel lines and filter plugs and it runs on choke but when taken off struggles to idle checked for leeks found none was wondering if the vacuum-actuated evap valve could cause that problem (the last bike had that problem ) and if so what to do to bypass it

R. J. likes this.
  2. ZLrider

ZLrider Senior Member

Hate to rain on your parade, but you might just have to live with it. I'm pretty good at tinkering with mechanical stuff, but my 600 hasn't idled well in 2 years now and nobody can seem to figure out why. Love these bikes, but in my opinion, even a good mechanic will find it a challenge to keep these finicky machines operating properly. Best advice I can give you is to sell it and buy something easier to maintain. 4 carb bikes, especially ones like the 600 where everything is shoved together so tightly are just a pain in the ass to work on.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Are the fuel air mixture screws still capped off. If not did you set them all the same. Starting point is 2 1/2 to 3 turns out.

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

ZLrider, when a member comes here looking for help with a ZL, the last thing you should do is to reply that they just need to sell the damned thing and move on. If that's the best you can do, just keep your "advice" to yourself. That's not the reply you got when you came looking for help here and my buddy Bill saved your ass and fixed yours. You're a real piece of work ain't 'cha?

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Danielle: You might want to do away with the emissions/smog plumbing. You can cap off 3 of the carb vacuum ports and plug the 2 reed valve ports on top of the valve cover with 1/2 " gray PVC caps or buy a set of block off plates. The white PVC caps crack over time.

6. I do have them all set the same but i figured out it was the vacuum-operated petcock replaced it the bike runs great but now the clutch is stuck engaged so got to figure that out

7. thanks for saying what I didn't have the time for I think he should get rid of his since he under appreciates the amount of engineering and craftsmanship it took to bring these bikes to life

8. thanks for the tip I'm gonna do away with it ill machine me some block off plates I didn't know that bike had reed valves for the exhaust thought that was a crank case vent thanks, dude

9. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

Block off plates aren't necessary. Just get rid of the air valve crap which is probably leaking air into the intake manifold. Plug up everything except vacuum to petcock. I just put ball bearings in all the tubes and put the air valve back on so it looks stock but with no chance of vacuum or air leaks. After disabling it, the choke worked like it should.

10. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

So far after many thousands of miles, my 600 has been problem free, idles 1050 relibly (with a slight lope because I only got the mixture screws close since it's hard to get to them) and rarely needs enrichment to start. Compared to the 900, the 600 is simpler with less things to go wrong and maintain. The only thing the 600 lacks is midrange but that should be expected.

11. ZLrider

ZLrider Senior Member

Hey I was just being honest. These bikes are real SOBs to work on and I think most of you know it. Finding that out early on could save somebody a whole lot of money not to mention grief.

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: No grief here. I've never paid a dime to have anyone work on my ZL 10. I've owned my ZL 10 since 10/2010. 8K miles. It's never given me any trouble other than an over heating issue the secound year of owning it. Which is how I found ZL-oa. Yes I've done a ton of preventive maintenance and a bunch of mods. The key is to use ethonal free fuel and keeping rust out of the fuel tank. Also my bike gets rode at least once a month in the summer and much more in the winter. It never sits more than 3 weeks at a time. 27K miles. No block off plates are not needed but a bikes engine looks better with out the smog stuff. I think a bike runs better without it. Also its one less think to screw with when changing spark plugs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    markus56 likes this.
  13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:
    The ZL 6 has more maintenance. Drum brakes. You have to turn nut. :laughing7:. Clutch cable. You have to turn a nut. :laughing7:. and 2 sections to the air box. It's harder to find a nut. :laughing7:.

14. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

My 600 is nearly 100% stock. Block off plates aren't something I'd use on it but a non-emissions OE valve cover would be nice.

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I have one for my ZL 10 that I bought from Germany. I think it was around $70 shipped. I'll install it at my next valve adjustment. I seen one on E-bay for the ZL 6. It was from a 86/87 GPZ 600. It was also in Germany.

16. forneyguy

forneyguy Member

I too have problems with my ZL900 from time to time it's the nature of having an older bike, but I can't think of any other bike on the planet ( old or new) that I like better than this one. Sometimes I'll go out in the garage and just look at it, my wife thinks I'm crazy and she'll say "you going out there to look at your bike". Hell I'm 67 yrs old and I still love this bike even if it never runs again I'm never selling it. Oh yeah right now mine only seems to idle with the choke on and when I rev it I'm getting black/grey smoke out the pipes, but it sounds strong, any ideas?

17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: You will get gray smoke out the mufflers when the bike is on choke. It will clear out when the choke is placed to the off position. Do you smell oil burn off out the mufflers when the bike is off choke. When is the last time that you cleaned the air filter. Your slow jets may need cleaned in your carbs. A vacuum leak can cause the idle to malfunction.