1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New bike to tinker with!

87kawzl Jul 13, 2019

1. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

1979 XS1100 with 7200 miles picked up cheap with an 80 parts bike to boot. I'm told it last ran 2 years ago but I'm not sure how with the cracked up carb rubbers. I'm hoping to have a nice runner for well under a grand including tags and title after I move the parts that don't get used. IMG_20190713_150359.jpg IMG_20190713_154554.jpg

When Cycle magazine took an XS1100 to the local drag strip for its January 1978 issue, the massive XS laid down speeds never before seen by a Superbike of the period. Nineteen runs were made, with every trip of the lights coming in under 12 seconds. Their best run was 11.82, a time unmatched by any bike prior to the XS. A month later, Cycle World reported a best run of 11.78 seconds. The motorcycle world had a new king of the quarter mile.

How's about that trailer load out for the parts bike, it is missing the final drive which is what I started looking for to use on my XS750. The twofer was too good of a deal to pass on and should be a pretty simple project.

R. J. likes this.
  2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Good luck with the project and keep us posted on your progress.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I remember those when they came out. It was the year that our local FORD Dealer in Spangler PA opened a YAMAHA Dealership. My friend Don B. was the Tech. He was the first to buy a SX 11. The Dealership closed up 5 years later. They sold all their inventory to TOMS Cycle in Indiana PA and Don also went. He still works for Toms as Lead Tech/Service Manager.

4. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Back when I was in the military I had a friend that had an Eleven Special. He let me ride it and it was fast. Still don't know why he got mad when I did that burn out. I told him tires ain't supposed to last forever. Smoke if you got em.... Told him try it on the ZL9 that I had.

R. J. likes this.
  5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I can't do burn outs. I'm to damn short. :laughing7:. My ZL 10 is as low as I can make it and I'm still not flat foot.

6. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

I'm short too but if my mind is right I could stand flat on that Eleven Special.

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Luke may the Force be with you. :laughing7:.

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

A key is needed to remove the battery side cover. No kidding, WHO came up with that??? Seriously, you need a key to remove the one side cover and a wrench to remove the seat. :rolleyes:
    Yamaha, no wonder it weighs 600#...

9. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Must be a Yamaha thing. My V-star 650 has a side cover that comes off with a key but it's a "secret compartment". And before I turn it into a bobber the seat had 2 bolts that held it on. Also the Vmax airbox cover used a key to remove and the seat was bolted on.

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The EL 250 has a side cover that has a lock. The tool box and tools are behind it. IMG_6439.JPG

11. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

s-l400(25).jpg :laughing7:

wuputt and R. J. like this.
  12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: So those training wheels would enable me to do burn outs. :laughing7:.

13. ZLrider

ZLrider Senior Member

Either that or awesome wheelies! BTW I'm not the biggest guy in the world either, but on the 600 I can flat foot it with ease. One of the things I like best about the bike. That tippy-toe crap is for the birds. A ballet dancer I am not.

R. J. likes this.
  14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My inseam is only 26 inches. My wife has to hem all my pants. My ZL 10 has 11.5 inch Progressives on the rear lowering it 2 inches and the forks are lowerd an inch in the tripple trees. When wearing my Justin boots and my Wife on the back then I can touch flat footed but I can touch flat foot on the EL 250. :laughing7:.