1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New lithium batteries

Jonathan Jan 8, 2020

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Does anybody have any experience with the newer lithium batteries in a ZL900? Will the electrical system support the battery or are there any changes necessary?

2. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Member Supereli changed to this type in his ZL1000:

41PlpQOjnwL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Size is different to orig.:
    12N14-3A = 134 x 89 x 166 mm
    LTX14-BS = 150 x 87 x 143 mm

...so you may fill the gap w/ styrofoam etc.

No probs till now, even no extra charging.
    Recommended...:laughing7:

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I’ve read several articles of other older bikes that need to have their reg/rec updated in order to support the use of a lithium ion battery.

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: A few members are now using lithium batteries. I have one in my Yamaha sport quad going on 5 years now. I haven't had any issues. I was told that if one drops below 6 VDC that the charger will not recover it. Then the bike needs to be push started or jumped. You also need to buy/use a lithium charger.

5. Harriminator

That was before they had a built-in balancer...meanwhile this is standard! (Check infos by manufacturer).

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

yeah I’ve done quite a bit of research on the lithium batteries but I just wasn’t sure if the ‘86 zl900 in specific was set up to accept them without changes. Sounds like it is.

7. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Overpriced for the application IMHO, Unless you have a cafe that needs a tiny battery or some other reason to shave lbs. An AGM will give years of trouble free service at a fraction of the cost.

prfixer likes this.
  8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: A good qualiy lithium battery does cost twice as much as a standard battery.

9. Harriminator

:hello:Lithium batts have a lack: when it's too cold they go down in volts and fail...and can get damaged irrecoverable; finally it's a Q of faith like w/ electric vehicles - as long as there's enough oil no need for a change.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

this is my exact reason. My build is hardly recognizable as an eliminator. I’d share a pic of where I’m at with my build but I can’t figure out how to post pics from my photo stream here.

11. 87kawzl

Download pic to your phone then hit the "upload a file" button and pull the pic from your download folder.

You will be fine with the lion battery. Can't wait to see some pictures!

12. Harriminator

1. Click on 'Upload a File'
    2. Choose your folder & the file you wanna upload from your pc or smartphone
    3. Click on 'Full Image' - voila!

(better twice than none, 87...:D)

13. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

53832FAE-1CCE-4E49-97BC-B0F0E77F218D.jpeg

JohnH#II and R. J. like this.
  14. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Still a long ways to go and then complete strip down for powder coating but it’s coming along.

15. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I know that this is not a purist pleasing picture but please understand that this bike was in absolute disrepair and the rear frame section was rusted horribly. It was also on its way to the scrap yard.

16. 87kawzl

It's yours, You do what you want!

Looking good, is that a 454 tank? Flows with the bike nicely. Purists realize quickly how much a full restoration costs and know there is a line drawn on the ones worth bringing back to stock or ones worth modifying.

17. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Thank you!
    good eye. It sure is a 454 tank.

18. 87kawzl

Snap a top view of that tank from the riders perspective please.

You should start a build thread to document what you've done.

19. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I literally have 304 pictures in my build album so far. It’s quite overwhelming when I think about documenting it all into a build thread but I will take it on. I’m sure someone will find something useful.

I’ll get the exact angle you’re looking for when I get home from work in a couple hours.

20. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

66B899C1-3694-4CEC-B765-26C44552B2D0.jpeg