1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New Member..hey folks

zrxwest Mar 3, 2019

1. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

Hello folks. I have been a Kawasaki owner off and on since 1977. In recent years I owned a Zrex that I got new in 03 sold in 2013. I owned a Harley FLT after, and could not wait to get rid of it. Having sold the HD in spring of 2017, I been bikeless until yesterday, having "captured" a 96 Zl600. It has 11g miles looks to be orignal, some garage scuffs, to incude being knocked ovcr, but does not appear to have ever been actually wrecked. Rode it briefly (cold outside up in Portland area), shifted thru all 6 smoothly, no wierd noises, brakes OK, 40% rubber on rear, newer on front, new battery. $1550. I was hoping for some feedback If anyone thinks I got took, lol. I spent hours searching, I could not find a better deal on a mid sized bike, or even a lil 250 type for, $1500. I noticed the low end power band that dont exist, that the magaizine writers put in their reviews, as well as how the thing responds in the upper portions of the tachometer (impressive!). I feel the brake design is lagging...Out of the gate, does anyone know, if any of the Zl's with mag wheels will fit, id love to put a mag wheel on the front, since this one has a small dent in the front rim, yet it spins true with no wobble noticed....I beleive that I would change its breathing system it seems choked for air on the low end...i read the only exhaust u can find to fit it is Gpz type? i dont see any 4 into 1's being made for this bike...also, does the small hand rail shown in the fotos on some models fit the 96? I dont see it in all the pics...thx for your responses, and it feels good to be riding again!

thanks so much, Im sure I am as reduntant in my questions as a new person could be.....

Zrxwest

Current: 96 ZL600B

Former: (just the Kaws)

03 Zrx1200R (blue one)
    79 Kz650C (2 each)
    80 Z750LTD
    83 Kz550A4 (sport)
    77 Kz1000LTD
    74 400S3
    73 350F9 (3 each)
    71 125F6

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Welcome! Glad you were able to find a decent deal on a ZL. I think the early 6's came with mags.

I'd just use it like it is and not worry about throwing $ at an exhaust or doing airbox mods. Get it in a good state of tune and enjoy.

zrxwest likes this.
  3. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

oooopps

4. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

that is sound advise. and thanks for the compliment, every once in a while, a blind squirrel finds somthing ...

5. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

The mag wheels from the '86 or '87 will not bolt up to the 90's models as the front calipers are on opposite sides. the only way to do it is switch fork tubes or the entire triple tree. And if tuned correctly the 600 should have plenty on the low end. Not as much as the 80's models though as the 90's models were de-tuned about 12 hp.

zrxwest likes this.
  6. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

well dont sound like any easy swap, and I am not finding alot in terms of aftermarket anything....i may look into a complete front end conversion, it needs better braking, imho...as for low end vs. high end, I honestly went up the street and back...maybe a 1/2 mile total because it was freezing outside! Washington is INSANE on tagging/plating, wanting $25 per month in back fees for 24 months as it wasnt registered for 2 years. What a scam. Fortunately, I have "dual" residency in Arizona, it will be under $100 for 5 year tags!

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Welcome to zl-oa. Post up pics of your new ride & of past rides.

zrxwest likes this.
  8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I'd recommend plating it in AZ then transfer into your whack state of Washington. Ridiculous, them going back on you like that. I just wouldn't feel comfortable riding an out of state plate for too long, five-oooh sniffs that out like sharks when there is blood in the water.

zrxwest likes this.
  9. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

Ok, I will post some. I dont have pics of them all, saddly. ..but i got a few here now...stay tuned!

10. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

truly, that was my intention. I dont worry about cops. I been doing this for years, (living in diff states but plating elswhere)..CDL holders have some wiggle room in the laws, at the Federal level...Ive gotten 3 tickets in 12 years, and had them all dismissed! But ws a factor in my decision to sell the Zrex, just to much power/attention around town..lol I am headed back to Arizona truth be told, and my short lived life up here is about over after what will be about 2 years. Wsshington is awesome and has alot of good things happening, but this DMV stuff is an outrage...

11. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

Not in the list of formers, since I only included the Kawasaki's, but this is the famous Honda 500 Ascot that some folks are still talking about...lol circa 1995.

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  12. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

St. Louis days (98-2000) 3 scoots in the garage, my 79 Kz650C (was my main scooter from 98-04) the Water Buffalo (73 "K" model, was the closest motorcycle relative to a Mercury outboard) and the XJ with tranny woes, that still ran thru it.

Attached Files:

13. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

I did not customize this early GSXR, but I did trade a car for it. I owned it for one riding season, and we parted ways...

Attached Files:

14. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

the XJ650RJ Seca 650 (1982). Purchased 'new non current' in 1987. (gee. thx Reagan!) it was $1800. I recently read an article where a guy says he had 100g miles on one of these. I dont beleive it. Yamaha's of this era had poor electrical systems, and the transmissions in the XJ family didnt seem to be very good. For a 2 vavle shafty, this thing was pretty quick out of the box. I think the Kz 650 I would own in later years probably would have smoked it in the 1/4 mile.

Attached Files:

15. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

showing off for the neighbors...

Attached Files:

16. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

I had alot of extra 650 parts, then i even bought a second running one around 2001. Ebay was a happening place for finding tons of NOS kawi parts at this time....but not as much these days..:-(

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  17. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

was doing good in the early 2000's...this was my "fleet" ..my first camper trailer (I would only own 2), my new Sierra, my new Zrex, and the 2 Kz 650's.

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  18. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

my Zrx front, and a turbo Rex behind

Attached Files:

Raf900 and R. J. like this.
  19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Nice past rides. :notworthy:. My friend Mark R. just sold a red KZ 650 with 2.5 K on the clock. He bought it new in 1978. He let it go for 2 K. Another friend Don B. has a 2004 ZRX 1200 R that is premo.

zrxwest likes this.
  20. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

a 78 KZ650 with 2500 miles for $2g? if it had been stored inside i woulda bought it! I love those things, and while I will always wish they were 800's instead of 650's (the import tax thing)...the one kz750 i owned, was super fast. I am sure I have pics of it in the mini storage in a shoe box...