1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New Member..hey folks

zrxwest Mar 3, 2019

1. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

few more...i had a couple diff sets of bodywork for the 650, silver, blue, or green..primered black as I bought her in St louis

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  2. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

only owned the shovel couple years, what a difficult bike to mess with. so glad its gone....

Attached Files:

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Marks KZ 650 was mint & always stored inside. :notworthy:. It never seen the rain. After the first 5 years or so it never went more than a few miles past his house.

zrxwest likes this.
  4. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

Nice bikes zxrwest. I have wanted a green zrx ever since my buddy let me take a ride on his. But your gray zrx in your photo is sharp in that color too.

zrxwest likes this.
  5. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

I bought that same red FT500 back in '82. Fun little wheelie popper. :D

zrxwest likes this.
  6. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

I only owned the Ascot a couple years, I traded a small boat for it. The square headlight was useless, I replaced it with an old RD400 bucket/ring and light. (i like the face my ZL looks to use an old car headlight!). For a thumper, it wasnt a bad lil bike. It had some good escapability (that involved a railroad crossing, and a real pissed off pair of "local yokals" at bar closing, once upon an ancient time......)

R. J. likes this.
  7. Raf900

Raf900 Member

welcome to the site zrxwest. I have a 2002 zrx 1200r green they are a great bike, easy to get to 150 plus Hp. I love my zl900. v-rod was the only Harley I owned and it was great. wish you the best with the 600. lots of help here.

zrxwest likes this.
  8. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

thank you Raf900! We dont see alot of V-Rods on this side of the pond (i sure dont see any more)..Hold onto that Rex, they are great (if u can ever get the suspension adjusted right!)

9. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

eliminatorlarge.jpg

R. J. likes this.
  10. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

hello fern,

I hear ya on the Green Rex....I honestly wish I woulda bought a green one too. When I bought mine, they only had 2 Rex's on the floor and the other was a green one. The first Rex I saw was an 1100 (first 2 years were), in green. Got me all souped up to buy one a few years later..what a deal I got on it also. its really funny... they wanted $8000 new ...I gave $1000 down, GO Green financing...promo payment $39/month for first 36 months (@ 3.9%). I paid it all off way before the end of the 3 years of course. Trust me when i tell you I rode the snot outta the thing...I sold it for $4100, and with the extras I had it coulda brought a little more I think had I been patient. They did have a HD (or more than 1) for sale that year (2003) for over $22,000 new. It was incredible to think, I could buy 3 Zrex's keeping 2 in the crate, and just ride one, which poperly cared for woulda outlived me for sure. And still had 2 brand new ones in the crate...HD madness truly is madness! lol

R. J. likes this.
  11. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

ZrxWest06.JPG AZREX.JPG

markus56, Fern and R. J. like this.
  12. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

Cool story and info on obtaining your zrx. Glad to hear you got some good riding out of it. Too bad you let it go. I haven't seen a zrx on the road in a long time. The green zrx screams kaw for sure, reminds me of the old Eddie Lawson kaw.

zrxwest likes this.
  13. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

that was the marketing angle at the time as shown:

lawsonreplicadreams.gif

Fern, R. J. and Harriminator like this.
  14. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

I agree...:laughing7:
    harri_z1000r.jpg

Fern, markus56, R. J. and 1 other person like this.
  15. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

I have found a few more photos...got to get the scanner hooked up.....stay tuned!

16. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

Revisiting the former Kz girls in Fresno, circa 2000.

the Kz550 Sport. this was a neat lil mid sized bike. It came to me with worn chain n sprockets (gezz, that never happened over the years!), slipping clutch, worn out rear brake. (its owner never used the front brake it seems)...after fixing it all, it was shockingly fast. It sure woulda been a keeper and I was very pleased with it, but I would quit my job, and go to Alaska in spring of 1991. It was sold at that time, with a semi tear in my eye. I had lost the LTD1000, and the XJ650RJ, and the CB750F, and the RD400F by this time....

the short owned GT750K (1973). bought with low miles from original owners family (he was deceased) in 1998. would start and run like hell, then a day later, couldnt start the thing to save your life. clean plugs, good fuel, nice spark, ugh. Never could find any shorts. Then it would start and run just fine, a day or 2 later. I would buy the 79 Kz650 C a couple months after getting the Buffalo, which went into the garage corner.

Couple more pics of the 650 in honda accord silver....circa 2003.

kzgirls.JPG kz550sport.jpg GTside.JPG kzfront.JPG kzside.JPG

R. J. likes this.
  17. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

KZ550 sport, there is a rare bird right there. I've only seen the GPZ's that followed and half of them had the bigger fairing which is not nearly as sweet looking as the bikini on those bikes.

zrxwest likes this.
  18. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

I have seen the 700 sport, but not in over 20 years....my 550 was the only one I ever seen irl. this was the wheelie rider here! (these didnt have a stock fairing, that i recall)

19. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

GREEN TOO! my 77 Kz1000LTD .. 1000ltdnme2.jpg Got it in 1983 after returning from overseas to the Aroma of Tacoma..(ugh) I got wet alot. It had a kit in the motor, it was an 1102 i think...yup it was the fastest thing I was ever in/on land, up to that point.....After discharge, I would take it back to Fresno, where within a few months, my first real nasty motorcycle wreck of my life happend...flying into a no parking sign (the channel type post with the holes in it) with my hip (body parallel the ground) no helmet on, bent the sign post at least 30 degrees from the ground....ah, the durability of youth....bounced right up, no broken bones, (soreness to come)......a young couple, arguing about cigarettes, abrubty make a right turn from the number one lane (I was in the #2) hit the lil toyota pickup right in the firewall, flying over it....Angels cushioned my fall that day....

R. J. and Harriminator like this.
  20. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

xjmaximnkz.JPG

R. J. and Harriminator like this.