1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New Member..hey folks

zrxwest Mar 3, 2019

1. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

wyomingkztrlr.JPG

R. J. likes this.
  2. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

by 2006, the 78 Celica GT and the only 3 yr old GMC Sierra would both be gone.(along with the Kz's). The new Sentra SE, and the ZRX would take over!

carbike.jpg

3. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

rd_crop.jpg The 79 RD400F Daytona Special (the last RD). its 6 speed tranny and powerful 2 stroke was more than one 3/4 litre bike could handle! daytona.JPG

R. J. likes this.
  4. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

gtxmas98.jpg

Xmas 1998 after a full blown bike drought from 96-98...pulling back up in St. Louis Mo...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    R. J. likes this.
  5. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

Small photo with Myself circa 1988, showing powder coated chain guard...Other foto was from earlier that year..

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Nice. :notworthy:. Thanks for sharing your past rides with us.

zrxwest likes this.
  7. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

still got a few more to go!

8. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

its a 80- or 81 CB750F...late 80's no lid law california

750F.JPG

R. J. likes this.
  9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:Sweet. :notworthy:. You look happier than a pig in S H I T. :laughing7:.

zrxwest likes this.
  10. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

That was so long ago, it seems or feels like a whole other lifetime, or perhaps one that was lived by another, or maybe read about somewhere...
    The Reeboks certainly stick out! I think (uh-oh!) The CB750F would be the last bike I owned until I resurfaced with the RD400F, still in the 80's, but I had the RD into 1990. and parked it when I got the Kz550 Sport. I rode The 550 for (I dunno for sure) but it was like 18 months or so, before heading off to Alaska. The Kz550 was sold, a sad event if I must say, but the RD stayed in a Fresno garage, wating to be revivied when I finally returned from Alaska in 1993. It would wheelie again, with a set of expansion chambers finally. Had many a fun winter night on it...2 strokes love that cold weather.....sigh.

R. J. likes this.
  11. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    R. J. likes this.
  12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Nice. :notworthy:. A few years ago a ZL 600 same as yours was on E-bay here in FL with 2,000 original miles. They was only asking $2000 for it.
    it had no bidders.

zrxwest likes this.
  13. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

View attachment 39769 View attachment 39769

Got my first real ride in on the thing saturday, 56 miles. Had a break in the weather that afternoon. I am not a fan of how they engineered the carbs for these. it dont breathe well. It has to be in the upper quadrant of the tach to really pull hard it seems...and of course a new clutch pack is needed...(saw that coming).... Seems to me the suspension is a lil stiff for my size weight..havnt taken a look at adjusting anyting as of yet....All in all it certainly is an eye catcher, turning heads everywhere...lol

14. Aaron Pierce

Aaron Pierce New Member

im not going to cry to you BUT, a friend wanted to give me an older 86 or so honda, i thought , COOL..........WRONG! D.M.V. here in California wanted $870.00 for it being off the records for 7 years. I told them i'd give them $20.00 and let them wash my truck!

15. Aaron Pierce

Aaron Pierce New Member

Also, if your registration is over a year or two out,(i cant remember what the deal was ) the DMV took the money directly out of my friends account!

zrxwest likes this.
  16. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

Ya i quit doing california anything many many years ago, even though I am a Californian. They used to allow the "non-op" stuff, but I rember alot of folks wouldnt fill out the form. I once had a Kz750 I bought In Fresno, with a simialr old tags high bill. In those days (93-94), u could still write a check to DMV. And I did, for $500 and some.. got the new tag...went down the street to my bank, and stopped payment on the the check. I thiink they sent me one bill, ans somehow, they lost it...so I got away with it clean! (lol)

I was able to fly to Phx from Portland, on decent non stop flights, rent a car, spend 2 nights in Laughlin, while going to the AZ DMV in Bullhead City, and getting new title plate and 2 year tag for $100 even (plate and tag only). It would have been $35-40 but AZ passed a new law and they now add $30 some dollars a year for "safety fee" (I feel safer already) All this, and I still saved over what they wanted here to register the ZL here ($600 appx).

AZ does not require the motocyle to be present or need inspected! Im sure some of you will be quite rankled by the story. I have always been ok with that!

17. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

I hope u enjoy your new ride, I know what u mean by the ZL's being slightly under-braked though I have only ever really felt it at fairly high speeds, changing pads can make it better though! I haven't checked but R the 1980s Mag wheels tapped on both sides to accommodate twin discs like on the wire-wheeled ZL LX machines? The problem with all this traffic licensing n' control stuff is the bureaucrats form different nations looks what is happening elsewhere, internationally and then adopt practices used elsewhere, no matter how stupid they are! A trend in the UK is to fit the old Black n' Silver registration plate on motorcycles post August 1973 machines , they look classier but also the rumour is that speed detection cameras do not like them!

zrxwest likes this.
  18. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

80s wheels R not tapped, (holes), on both sides. Why can't the tyre be taken off the front wheel and it spun round so the disc is on the right and then put the tyre back on, so now the wheel is running in the reverse direction than it was previously and have the right-hand side caliper mounted to the later B model right-hand fork slider?

19. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

No idea, I have not pursued the front wheel thing further. The thing needs a front end swap with dble discs up front, imho, the rear wheel would be fine as, with its drum.

20. zrxwest

zrxwest Member

Dug these up of the XJ from when it was new non current 5 years old out the box, thx to regan tariffs, and Wilsons Kawasaki of Fresno. 1987 secaandme.jpg