1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New Sound System for my Truck

R. J. Jan 8, 2019

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My Wife bought me a new sound system for my truck for XMAS. The CD player is a Kenwood DPX593BT, speakers are made by POLK & the AMP is a Pioneer GM-A4704. I spent yesterday & today installing it. It took me about 17 hours to insall everything plus I replaced a bunch of stripped out door hardware with all new SS. I also installed new blue sound deading on all 4 doors. Total cost just under $400. IMG_6868.JPG IMG_6870.JPG IMG_6871.JPG IMG_6869.JPG IMG_6872.JPG IMG_6873.JPG IMG_6866.JPG IMG_6865.JPG IMG_6879.JPG IMG_6880.JPG IMG_6890.JPG IMG_6876.JPG IMG_6887.JPG IMG_6884.JPG IMG_6883.JPG

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    kvalheim likes this.
  2. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

I have an old 1997 Toyota Tacoma and built a complete Alpine sound system for it about 2 years ago. I purchased an new Alpine radio and found 2 1985 Alpine amps on line and put one with some 10 inch Kicker comp speakers and the other with Alpine Mid’s and tweeters for the doors. I laughed when I got done because I’m 50 years old and dang sure can’t handle it.

When I’m in the mood to turn the dial, it sure turnes some heads. Back in the 80’s I would have had a top notch equalizer to go with it.

R. J. likes this.
  3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: You are never to old to have a good sounding system. I'm 60. We still own a 1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I gave it to my oldest Son for his 16th B day in 2006 in return he gave it to my youngest Son for XMAS in 2013. About 5 years ago some Saudi pulled up to the house in a Jag & offered me 10 K for it. He wanted to send it over to Saudi Arabia for his Family.

4. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Now you're talking my language. Just had a nice set up in my Tahoe but recently sold it.

5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Hey, ya need something to listen to while the tow truck is comin, right......
    Too soon, I know...

Polk makes some great speakers. I'll bet it sounds great. Your wife treats you right!

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: She is the best. :notworthy:. My system came from Crutchfield. I bought my first one from them in 1978. :laughing7:. Another in 2003. Crutchfield has great service & tech support. They have a store in VA & one out West. If an item is in stock it comes in 2 days.

7. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

Bought this 4x4 for my son during college, he brought it back when school was done and wanted his moms Yukon. I made the trade because we were done with the Yukon. Gas mileage ate him up and he traded it in for a brand new Tacoma!

I’ll keep driving the 97 Tacoma when needed as I don’t like payments.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    R. J. likes this.
  8. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

RJ, how hard was it to install the sound deadening material on the doors? I have been wanting to do that to my car. What material did you use? Congrats on the new sound system. Thanks

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: When we bought our new sectional it came wrapped in this blue heavy duty double sided bubble wrap. So that's what I used. I attached it to the inside of the doors using black duct tape by fouling it over & making it double sided & placed the tape behind the bubble wrap. I gave the rest of it to my friend Wayne. He has an E bay store selling mostly lawn mower parts. He made over 32 K last year. The biggest thing that helped with getting read of noise was I replaced all the hardware in all 4 doors. 90% of the screws/bolts was sheet metal screws. I went up one or 2 sizes on the sheet metal screws & I went to bolts with self locking nuts in places that I was able to get my hands behind. They make sound deading material. My one friend Ron A. did his truck with it. He did under the rug, behind the cab, up under the dash/firewall & in all 4 doors. He said it cost a few hundred $$$.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  10. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Lizzard skin works great for sound deadening. There are many products available, the dynamat tar with foil works great too but it is heavy. Some go crazy with it but a good start would be the doors and centers of the large flat body panels to minimize resonation. It's all expensive but you really need something otherwise you are throwing money out the window when installing a system. It makes such a big difference.

11. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

I am only looking to install some sound proofing on the door panels as it gets noisy when cruising on the highway. RJ, that new hardware is an interesting idea. I will also investigate some of the stuff you mentioned 87kaw. Thanks guys!