1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New zl600 owner

torontobikeguy Nov 4, 2019

1. torontobikeguy

torontobikeguy New Member

hi. New zl600 owner. Picked a survivor up today. Runs but will need work. The good is tank is rust free inside and it starts. Exhaust is good. Will need some work. New seat cover and a few bolts required . I will have to do some plastic repair on the air box. Looks like pvc so I wonder if abs cement will do? May need to hit my local plastic guy for some adhesive. Has anybody repaired the air box plastic or vent pipes that connect to the carbs ? I guess some ideas where to start are appreciated. It starts but only idles low on full choke. It dies right away if I give it gas or let off the choke. I did notice that the rpms went up only if I blew some air into the two carb vent hoses. Right now it has pods but I’m going to reinstall the air box.

2. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Hi, in Canada I presume, 600s seem to be popping up all over the place! U can get new boots, air-box is surely more of a hard plastic, isn't PVC a softer material? Throttle cable setting are of course critical & sometimes a mite tricky to set up. Check the cables n' make sure they aren't frayed! Petcock operation crucial too.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. torontobikeguy

torontobikeguy New Member

I will try the gas cap open and see what happens. I will also check the fuel petcock to see if it flows free. As for carbs the fellow I got the bike from already cleaned the bowls and jets. The diagrams are good. He mentioned something about a t in the vacuum line being crimped though.

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The OEM fuel valve pet cock is vacuum assisted delivery. Fuel flows when the bike is running or on prime which has a constant flow of fuel.