1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil change

LT132 Feb 3, 2018

1. LT132

LT132 New Member

is the 3.7l amount of oil on the crank case a hard and fast rule?

2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

No. It probably won't take that much. The same crankcases were used on bikes that had oil coolers. Do you know about the 2nd drain plug? there is another drain plug towards the front of the motor that will get a little extra oil out.

3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Prfixer is right, Zl's have a more shallow oil pan and takes less than that. Put three quarts in and check it after you run it for a minute or so and bring the level up to the top of the window after you shut it down and it settles.

4. LT132

LT132 New Member

Thanks guys, after worrying that I over-filled my bike, I realized I had another quart of oil in the gallon I bought.

5. LT132

LT132 New Member

Rookie mistake.

6. prfixer

Do you know the procedure for checking the sight glass? Down on your knees on the left side of the bike while you try to balance the bike as close to upright as possible without it falling over the other way? Set the oil level towards the top of the sight glass. Over-filling can be as detrimental as under-filling.

markus56 likes this.
  7. LT132

LT132 New Member

Yup. Thanks. Should the oil level be in the middle of the glass or at the to mark?

8. prfixer

I've always done mine to the top side of the glass to where just a partial moon part of the glass is empty.

markus56 likes this.
  9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

That's what I do too.....seems to be the consensis on the big ZLs.

10. LT132

LT132 New Member

Copy that. Time to let a little oil out

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: It always scares me to let the bike hang out at the edge of falling over. :laughing7:. I tie a rope to the handlebars & the other end to my shelves which are bolted to the wall. :laughing7:.

12. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

X2, I HATE checking the oil that way as well. Honestly it doesn't hardly seem like a sane person can check the oil without help.

13. BearHunter

BearHunter New Member

Always check oïl when the engine is hot. Shut the engine, place it on side stand. Then put the bike in the most upright position you can get. You'll hear oïl flowing down the engine and going back to the crankcase. Then check level.

When engine very cold, oïl won't flow as easily down.

14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I mostly check the oil with a cold motor. Also I thought if the motor is cold most of the oil is already down in the crank case.

kawboy likes this.